10 | Raising the White Flag

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," Bella confirmed. "A promise that we'll get through this... like we always do: together."

Rory sighed. "Look, Bella," she started, "you're not a kid anymore. You're a mother. Do you realize what kind of responsibility that requires? Because I don't think you do." Bella was about to argue, but Rory interrupted her, "No, let me finish."

Rory couldn't move in her spot due to Renesmee cuddling up to her. Regardless of that, Bella still felt like she was the one in the vulnerable position; like she was the one getting lectured.

"You're immature, impulsive, and unbelievably naïve, Bella," Rory continued. "Not to mention ungrateful. I mean, I did die for you, you know." She sighed. "The point is, you gotta stop thinking for yourself. This kid is gonna be the best thing that's ever happened to you, not the whole immortality shit. You can't throw a fit because you're upset. You need to start acting like a big girl. Because this shit isn't gonna fly the next time you're butthurt about something."

Bella looked down at her hands. "...I'm sorry. I'm sorry about trying to hurt you and Jacob."

"And?"

"...And I'm sorry for leaving you to die in the woods."

Rory smirked. "Atta girl," she replied. "And by the way, it's a truce."

Bella looked relieved. Her lips curved up into a small smile. "Thanks, Rory," she mumbled. "Thanks for not giving up on me."

"Well, someone's gotta be the better sister around here."

Bella rolled her eyes at the comment. Though it was true, Rory was the better Swan sister, and they both knew it.

○ ○ ○

Now that Bella and Rory had somewhat mended their conflicts, they had a new problem at hand. Their newest enemy was time. With each day, Renesmee was growing more and more, faster and faster. It was almost as though they were watching her youth slip through their fingers.

Everyone was worried about how long they really had with Renesmee. Well, everyone but Rory, but she still hadn't brought up Irene yet. She didn't want to betray her friend, after all. Instead, Rory continued to assure everyone that Renesmee would be just fine.

Rory had become a bit clingier to her little sister and her niece. Sure, she was Ren's blood-singer, but that just meant that Rory was more protective of her niece. She wanted to be there to protect Ren.

Renesmee looked up at the sky, holding her hand out as a snowflake fell into her palm. "Look," Ren said, showing her mother, "a snowflake!"

Bella crouched down, smiling at her daughter. "It's beautiful. Why don't you go get another one?" she suggested.

Renesmee was quick to begin playing with Jacob in the snow. "Edward thinks we'll find answers in Brazil," Bella explained to her older sister. "There are tribes there that might know something."

"Look, I know you want to learn about Ren's case, I think you should stop worrying," admitted Rory. She was only saying this because she had seen the future and it looked much brighter than the present.

"I can't. You know that, Rory."

"I think you should have a little more faith in me," Rory told her. "After all, I've been to the future quite a few times."

She glanced over her shoulder, seeing a version of herself from the past hiding behind the trees. This was from when Rory had been experimenting with time travel.

Renesmee leaped into the air, catching more snowflakes before noticing a blonde woman standing on a cliff in the distance. "Mom? Aunt Rory? Who's that?" Ren called.