01 | Welcome Home

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
i. WELCOME HOME

╚══════════════════╝

IN THE HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY OF LIFE, it's common that we use games as a way to waste time

It's whipping out the raggedy piece of cardboard with the faded letters of Monopoly printed on it. It's rolling the dice and shouting, "Yahtzee!". It's putting your left hand on the green dot and your right foot on the red dot, hoping to whatever God in the sky that was listening that you wouldn't fall onto your friends in a twisted mess. It's bonding with those around you throughout your third round of Mario Party that makes the time fly with the blink of an eye.

Just like the games, winning and losing hold a special place in the matter of it all, in the matter of life. It's going bankrupt in Monopoly; It's getting the worst cards in an intense game of Uno; It's your ship sinking in Battleship that defines the position of winner and loser.

Sometimes games become just a little too real.

"You lost again."

When playing a game, it's important to accept that losing isn't the desired outcome; however, for Lorelai Swan, hearing those words made her feel more alive than any breath of air could provide.

With her head hanging downward, she watched as her twig legs swung back and forth gently. Her ears seemed to perk up every time the man before her clicked his pen to scribble something down on his clipboard. It wasn't until he finally said those three words that made Lorelai Swan's heart race when she spoke for the first time since she walked in.

She fingered the hospital gown as it hung loosely on her frame and meekly quizzed, "...How much?"

"I don't know if telling you is such a good idea."

Lorelai looked up at the pale man that was Dr. Carlisle Cullen. There was a sullen expression stamped across his admittedly handsome features, just as it always was. The familiarity in his face always made Lorelai feel the need to hug up, but she never did. Instead, she repeated, "How much?"

The silence between them was still. Even the simple drop of a pin could create a ripple of echoes in the room. "You're 83 pounds, Lorelai," finally revealed Carlisle, hesitance bleeding through his practically nonexistent pores.

Lorelai pressed her lips together, unsure of what to say. A rush surged through her—the same one she always felt when she arrived at Forks Hospital for her usual appointments. The best way to describe it was bittersweet. She was happy with herself, pathetically prideful that she was finally reaching her goal: to be skinny. However, there was that twang of tart that would always steal the spotlight. It was wanting to lose more weight, it was the feeling of Carlisle's and her father's disappointed gazes, it was the regret. It was anything her tainted mind could muster up with that brought upon Lorelai sorrow.