10 | Raising the White Flag

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
x. RAISING THE WHITE FLAG

╚══════════════════╝

RORY SWAN HAD BEEN laying on the bed in her and Jasper's shared bedroom with a sleeping Renesmee by her side

RORY SWAN HAD BEEN laying on the bed in her and Jasper's shared bedroom with a sleeping Renesmee by her side. It was the first time the aunt and niece had actually spent alone time together. Sure, Rory was kind of breaking the rules she had set with the rest of the vampires, but it was partially worth it.

Bella entered her room soundlessly. "Rory?" Bella's voice called. "Have you seen...?" She paused, noticing her daughter sleeping beside the Manipulator.

"Don't be mad," Rory softly told her sister. "While you were out... arm-wrestling Emmett," she delicately laughed at the thought, "Ren was calling for me in her sleep." Rory carefully played with her niece's fingers with one hand, the other one propping her own head up. "I tried to ignore it, but it got really annoying really fast. She wouldn't go back to sleep until she was by my side."

The newborn vampire nodded slowly. She folded her arms over her chest, her wedding ring sticking out like a sore thumb. "Okay," was all Bella said for a long moment. "Can we talk?"

"Depends," Rory admitted, smiling gently as Renesmee tightened her grip on her aunt's finger. "Are you gonna try to beat me up again?" Bella shook her head. "Alright, then talk."

"I don't hate you," Bella said.

"I didn't think you did," Rory immediately responded.

"You know what I mean," Bella added. "I just... Now that we're both..."

"Dead?" finished Rory.

Bella nodded. "Yeah. Now that we're both dead, I don't want for us to suddenly drift apart," admitted the newborn. "And I assume you feel the same. I mean, we're gonna be around for a long, long time."

Rory looked down at her niece. "I feel a 'but' coming on."

"But I'm still mad at you," Bella continued. "I know you can't control who your blood-singer is, but I can't believe you didn't want to tell me. I thought we were close, Rory."

Rory raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? I didn't even get the chance to, no thanks to your ex-boy-toy."

"I want you to be apart of Renesmee's life," Bella continued. "It's gonna take me a while to... accept that this is our reality, but until then, I want to propose a truce."

"A truce?"

"Mhm."

Rory narrowed her eyes at her sister. "You want me to agree to a truce... which came from something that only happened... because you had a hissy fit?"