Chapter 3

FEBRUARY,
LAVEROUNE STREET, THE COOPER RESIDENCE
b r o o k l y n l e s l i e c o o p e r
❦❧❦

After excusing myself from everyone and locking myself up in my room in embarrassment, I didn't see the Hood family again last night. I couldn't believe Calum knew I read his texts. I couldn't believe I made it so obvious. Did he type in that response to make me feel uncomfortable? To make me feel embarrassed or awkward? Because that's definitely how I felt.

I'd gotten up around six, but only decided to actually get out of bed twenty minutes ago to get ready for school. I never ended up texting Morgan to update her on my night because I was too embarrassed, but I was sure she'd squeeze it out of me at school. Sure, there wasn't much to say other then Calum is exactly as I expected; but she'd find it interesting either way. I wondered if she'd texted him since I never did, were they on that level of friendship yet? Or was she just Luke's girl to him?

Sighing, I brushed out the knots in my hair as I stared at myself in my full-length mirror. The morning sun was streaming through the window right beside me, providing me with the light I needed. And a slight breeze was flowing through my hair as the window was opened. It provided me with the calmness of the night and the peacefulness of day whenever I was in my room. It set of an aura to my mood.

I was about to turn around to go downstairs to make myself breakfast, but then I caught a glimpse of someone through my window.

Figures.

Calum's room was right across from mine.

We made eye contact, and a smirk played at his lips as he opened his window to communicate with me. He had on a Green Day tank top that showed off his biceps, and his hair was fluffy and stuck out in different directions. He looked like he just woke up, but he still looked so good. I stared at him, waiting for his mouth to open with a snide comment, but it never did. He just looked at me as if expecting me to blow up at him for embarrassing me last night.

I rolled my eyes before glaring at him. "If you aren't going to say anything I'm going to leave . . ." I slowly started to turn around, half expecting him to leave me be, but his response only slightly took me by surprise.

"Wait!" I turned back around. "Um . . . Do you need a lift to school? I could take you." He suggested, lifting his arm up to the back of his neck to scratch it awkwardly. I couldn't exactly make out every detail on his face from this distance, but his voice sounded genuine, as if he truely wanted to drive me to school. However, I knew he wasn't the type to offer lifts to girls he'd just met, even if they were his best mate's girl's friend.

I kept a straight face and looked back at him. "No thanks, I'm good." That was all I said before officially turning around to exit my room.

As I sat at my usual spot at the dining table, I could only think of one thing. Why the sudden gesture?

❦❧❦

My first class of the day was Media Arts. I'd chosen to take the elective since year 9, it was one of my favourites. We got to do exciting things like analyse movies, make short films, study camera angles and such. I had the class with Luke, and ever since he started dating Morgan he made it his priority to sit next to me every lesson. I reckon he only did that to keep on my good side, not that he had ever done anything to hurt me or make me upset at him. He was a sweet boy, and a good classmate. His good looks were only a bonus to how smart he was.

I sat comfortably on my chair, making sure my book, pencil case and laptop were all aligned perfectly on top of each other. I was a mixture of nervous and excited, because Mrs. Peterson was going to announce our next project. I was secretly praying for it to be a short film or movie, because the past few weeks I'd felt my inner director taking over. I had so many inspirations and ideas of what I could film too, I just needed the signal and I'd be ready to go.