Prologue

FEBRUARY,
LAVEROUNE STREET
b r o o k l y n     l e s l i e     c o o p e r
❦❧❦

I usually liked Sunday mornings, besides the fact that I had to wake up early every week to attend 10:30 mass at our local church. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed getting God's blessing and hearing the choir sing their angelic god-praising harmonies . . . I just hated the scheduled time for the mass.

And usually, when my family and I are driving back home from church, we aren't greeted with a moving truck planted in our street, almost blocking the road that was the only way to to our house.

"Bless, the Johnson's are finally gone." I let out a sigh of relief as I leant forward in the middle back seat to get a closer look out of the windscreen at the house next to ours, which had moving people entering and exiting it with furniture.

Keeping a cautious eye on the road, my father chuckles. "They were a handful. I wonder who's moved in."

My mother closes the church bulletin that she was reading and looks out her window and at the truck. "Well, whoever they are, once it's obvious that they've moved in properly; we'll invite them over for dinner. Sound good?"

My father and I nodded and I leant back in my seat as we drove up our driveway and dad parked the car. The three of us exit and peacefully make our way to the front door. As my mum struggles to find the right keys to unlock the door, I hear the sound of a car driving up the gravel-based driveway that our ex-neighbours had planted a few years ago. I edge my body around to face the direction of the house next door and see a white Mazda 3 parked in the driveway, a woman sitting in the drivers seat and a young girl who looked my age in the passenger seat. They were looking at each other and laughing, they seemed genuine and happy.

They're our new neighbours, I just knew it.

Then suddenly, a roaring sound of a motorbike zooming closer is heard, and not long after, the motorbike and its driver are in sight, parking right behind the Mazda. I decide to wait it out and see the obvious male take off his helmet, but my mother's voice prevents me from doing so.

"Darling, doors open. Come inside."

I spin around and enter my house alongside my mother. She closes the door behind us and sighs. "I hate motorbikes, do you reckon he'll cause trouble?" She asks, linking her arm with mine as we stroll into the kitchen where my father is preparing to cook our annual Sunday lunch of pasta. Today we were having Fettuccine.

I shrug my shoulders not long after unlinking our arms. "Not sure, hopefully not. Are you gonna go by later or go another day?" I asked as I opened the fridge to search for a water bottle. When I find one I take hold of it and close the fridge, when I face my mother I see her setting the dining table. It had six chairs to it, but it was big enough to add more for whenever we had people over. My mother praised the table, she loved sitting at it and speaking her mind, as if the table gave you freedom of speech. Most of the time her speeches were not so much enlightening to hear, but she never regretted anything she said. Ever.

"I might go by tomorrow while you're at school, to meet the adults of the house. If they're home, that is. Maybe they'll have children at your school?" I wanted to argue with her that I wasn't a child, in fact, I was nowhere near it. Being seventeen turning eighteen, I'd at least expect her to label me a teenager, or a young lady. But I keep my mouth shut and nod my head.

"Brooklyn, wanna help cook the sauce?" My father asks me and I nod, thinking why not?

As I carefully stir the sauce in the pot on the stove I think to myself about the man on the motorbike. However, I'm thinking of the bike more then the person.

I swear I'd seen that bike before.

❦❧❦

Greetings and Salutations!
hehe

I'm not the best at writing introductions or prologues, especially when it comes to stories— but, here it is! The prologue for Risky Business!
I hope it's not as bad as I think it is??

*side note: this book will be updated every Monday! (Unless I run out of chapters and have to change it up, but we should be good.)

Have a great day/evening/night!

Love,
@calxcx