43.

I was sitting on one of the beds in the medical wing of the facility

I was sitting on one of the beds in the medical wing of the facility. Bruce sat on a small stool three feet away from me, hastily typing on his computer. His back was turned to me so I couldn't see his face, but I could practically hear his brain crunching from the amount of concentration the man possessed. 

It'd been almost a month since I found out I was pregnant and it hadn't been particularly easy so far. The nausea subsided nearly a week ago now and that's a good thing, because I honestly had no clue how much longer Thor would believe my 'flu' excuse. I was still running to the bathroom every hour or two, but the vomiting had been replaced by the constant urge to pee. 

It hadn't been easy hiding the secret I was carrying with me. I felt like a balloon even though I wasn't showing yet and I found myself snapping at people constantly, only to furiously apologize ten minutes after. I was hoping they'd just assume I was PMSing, because I couldn't keep doing it for much longer and get away with it. 

I wanted to tell Thor, but I just couldn't. Not yet at least, because every time it even crossed my mind I freaked out. Things were looking really bad, with Tony still missing and half the team evaporated into thin air, I just couldn't get the words to pass my lips. 

I scratched my thigh through the hospital gown I was wearing, anxious to hear what Banner had to say. He didn't reply however, causing me to tap my right foot in an attempt to distract myself. I'd been poked and prodded with needles all day and couldn't wait to get the hell out of the wing. Thor thought I was at the Sanctum, tidying the place and picking up some books I'd been wanting to read. 

"How long ago did you say it was conceived?" He asked suddenly, turning around to meet my gaze.

"It couldn't have been more than two months ago."

"The baby should be around the size of a cherry right now. I could do an ultrasound, but I think we should wait. People might start suspecting something's up, considering we've been here for nearly five hours."

I let out a deep breath, my hands relaxing when he told me everything looked good, even though I couldn't shake the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when he left me to get dressed. I sat back down on the bed for a while staring at the black ultrasound monitor, biting my lip as I was lost in thought. 

What if he didn't want it? With everything going on, we'd never talked about things like kids and marriage before. We hadn't even been together long enough to think about any of that stuff and yet neither of us had taken the necessary precautions to prevent any of this from happening.