SEVEN

To say I was nervous would be an extreme understatement

To say I was nervous would be an extreme understatement. The last two times that I had seen Thor in a fight, the outcome had been bleak, both times ending with him losing to his opponent within the first three minutes of battle. It wasn't like I didn't believe in his ability to fight, it was just... this guy hadn't lost a single round. He was familiar with the rules of the game, the terrain, the audience loved him. 

Even though Loki tried to come off as cold and unbothered by the whole situation, I could feel his anxiety rising in my chest. He knew damn well that the two of us needed Thor to get off the planet safely in one piece, whether he liked to admit it his dependence on his brother or not. After all, there had to be a reason why he'd stayed on Sakaar all this time. Loki had just as much of a clue about how to leave as we did.

None of it mattered now. All we had to focus on was this fight, our one way ticket away from this hellish place. I didn't pray, but I almost considered clasping my hands together. I twisted and turned in my seat, unable to sit still. I could hardly breathe. 

The cheering of the crowd trembled in my ears. I couldn't imagine being out there in the ring, having to fight in front of all of these people. Not a single one of them cheered for Thor, which I knew couldn't be good for his ego. Then again, nobody on Sakaar had heard of the God of Thunder before, so I couldn't blame them. Most importantly, the guy they were cheering for had already won numerous times before.  

I hardly paid attention to the Grandmaster's introduction of Thor. The man himself emerged confidently from the shadows, holding a long, wooden stick in his right hand and the shield I'd seen earlier in his left. I frowned when I saw his hair, which, instead of being long and blonde, now had been cut short. The sides had geometric patterns shaved into them. Two long, red streaks had been painted across the left side of Thor's face, running all the way down the entire length of his neck before disappearing underneath his armor. 

People were savagely booing him from every direction, but he didn't seem to care about their distaste for him. His eyes went around the arena, perhaps looking for us, but not finding any familiar faces in the immense sea of people. The whole scene seemed unreal.

"Watch out for his fingers, they make sparks," The Grandmaster's hologram noted, "Okay! Let's get ready to rumble. Here he comes."

Sparks and flashes of bright green fireworks, accompanied by green chalk powder flew in the air. People began raising their flags and signs, and they pumped their fists wildly. My heart rate sped up tremendously. The entire stadium seemed to suddenly shake on its foundations with great force. Thor spun around on his heel, grasping his weapon tighter in his hand as he anticipated the arrival of his opponent.

"He is a creature, there's truly none like him. I feel a special connection with him. He's undefeated. He's the defending. He's the greatest. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you..."