12

Sam hadn't even realized he had drifted off until the banging of Dean's fist on the wall woke him up. He rubbed his eyes with his hands and glanced at the wall.

"What's with the wake up call?" He asked groggily. After yesterday's events he felt exhausted.

"They're coming for their daily dose of blood. When they come in your door, take them down, grab the keys, and let's bust out of here," Dean spoke hurriedly, like he was on a time crunch, "Got it Sam?"

"Why can't you take them down too?" Sam asked. It was odd for his brother to pass on such a dangerous task to him, given how overprotective he was of him. Of course he didn't mind it, it was just unusual of Dean.

Dean hesitated, a long moment of silence that confused Sam even more. "You'll see," he finally said, "just get ready."

Sam wanted to ask more but assumed he didn't have much time, so he hefted himself to his feet, legs stiff from the hard floor. He pressed himself up against the wall that bordered the door. Though he was hard to miss, even the briefest moment of surprise would yield a huge advantage. Just as he got into place, the door opened outwards into the hallway and in stepped the doctor who had cared for him. As he stepped in the room, it took him a second to see Sam's position, and in that second Sam had grabbed him, one arm around his throat and the other reaching up to cover his mouth as to not raise any alarm. He dragged the doctor into the corner, kicking the door closed, and tightened his grip so the doctor could pass out. Before this could happen, the doctor sank his teeth - or fangs - into Sam's hand. Sam sucked in through his teeth and ripped his hand away, pinpoint holes trickling with blood. Talons scratched Sam's arm and so his grip loosened. The doctor whirled around, pupils slits, talons sprouting in place of fingernails. He did not look angry, as his fangs were not bared and his face was more annoyed than upset.

"I told you if you needed anything to just tell me, not to strangle me," his gravelly voice growled, fangs retracting, "You're lucky I'm a kitsune and not a werewolf."

"What do you mean?" Sam was dumbfounded by the coolness the kitsune put off.

"I mean I know who you two are. We've all heard of you. The Winchesters. None of them believe you're the brothers we've heard of because of how easily the two of you were caught, and even still their ego is bigger than their common sense," The kitsune explained, a flash of fear flitting in his eyes as he thought of all the stories that had been told. How many monsters they had slaughtered as though they were nothing more than invasive pests, how they had come back from death, and how they had saved the world time and time again, "And even as a monster I know you two should be kept alive lest another apocalypse happens. Even if you end up killing us yourselves, there'll be other monsters out there instead of everyone getting obliterated."

Sam swallowed. "So you're on our side?"

"No, I went through that whole speech just to kill you even after I just said I think you need to live. What do you think dumbass?" Doctor Lonoff snapped, "I want you two out of here, Dean caused too much trouble than he's worth in my opinion. So what do you want?"

"The keys to our cells and the Novaks cells," Sam replied.

"I said I'd help you, not some piss-poor excuses for angels."

Sam grabbed Lonoff by his shirt collar and slammed him against the wall, Lonoff gasping in surprise and that same look of apprehension flashing across his face as Sam looked him dead in the eye, forcing Lonoff to look back. "You either give us the keys to Castiel's and Gabriel's cells or I kill you for them. Which do you prefer?"

"I don't have the keys to their cells!" Lonoff's voice cracked momentarily. He really was terrified by the Winchesters, even without a weapon that could kill him, "Another person runs that sector, she has the keys. She's a bitch. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't get you those keys. You'll have to figure something out on your own."