2

Heat of The Moment blared loudly throughout the room, jolting Sam awake in an instant. Gabriel leaned against the door frame, a shitty smirk on his face. He snapped his fingers and the music ceased.

"Jeez, you can sleep. Come on, I've got something," Gabriel motioned his hand to follow him.

"At least let me wake up first," Sam muttered, running his hands through his messy hair - well, messy, but it always seemed to fall right back into place seamlessly. Gabriel turned back towards him and walked up to him, promptly slapping him across the face. "What the hell was that for!?" Sam shouted, putting a hand to his red cheek.

"See, you're awake, now come on," Gabriel grabbed Sam's hand, sending warmth throughout Sam's whole body, and with his free hand he snapped his fingers. In a woosh of feathers, they were standing on a light gray sidewalk lining pale, silky sand, leading down into the endless ocean horizon. Sam looked around in confusion.

"Where are we?" he asked.

"Good ol' Cali, and at one of the best breakfast diners," Gabriel motioned to an old fashioned diner, with a rustic blue and red neon sign to advertise it's name from far away.

"I thought angels didn't have to eat." Why was Gabriel doing all these human things he didn't have to do? Really, if Sam had the option to be able to live without having to eat, he would take it. He could get so much more done without lunch breaks.

"In the time I was a secret, undercover human, I found food quite delicious. Especially the food here," Gabriel led Sam into the diner, and it was in this that Sam realized they were still holding hands. He tore his hand away and walked beside Gabriel, clearing has throat in embarrassment. Gabriel gave him a glance but said nothing as he held open the door for Sam to walk in, bowing over dramatically which earned a couple laughs from diners watching who was waltzing in from the counter. Sam kept looking forward, taking a seat at the counter. Like the outside, the inside had a classic 50s feel, with an old-fashioned jukebox in the corner playing light tunes that didn't catch your attention but provided some pleasant background music, the type that you would only notice when it stopped playing. Cheap red leather adorned the booth seats and stools, so the whole place seemed colorful and lively. Gabriel took the stool beside Sam, having to hop a little bit due to his short stature. Sam practically towered over him, so much so he was scared if he fell on him on accident he might squish him. He snorted quietly to himself at the thought. That would shut him up.

"Gabe, darlin', haven't seen you in a while," As if the diner wasn't classic enough, a sweet southern woman with her brunette hair done up in a bun came over. For a moment, an intrusive thought crossed his mind of what Gabriel would look like with his long hair up in a bun. He let the image paint in his mind before erasing it before he started to space out.

"Please, I'm only Gabe to my lovers. So no ones called me that in a while," Gabriel laughed, then transitioned topics, "I'll have a stack of blueberry pancakes, and he'll have whatever is really healthy," He jabbed his thumb at Sam, grinning jokingly. Sam rolled his eyes.

"Just an omelette, please," Sam said gruffly. The waitress nodded, murmuring something under her breath about not being very friendly, before heading off to the kitchen. As she did, he turned to Gabriel. "So this is what you wanted to show me? Not something useful like, I don't know, a lead?"

"Hey man, I'm just as concerned as you. But we haven't found zip and we won't if we keep staring at CNN all day to upload something that's not about politics or what's coming to Netflix. Let's kill a few hours at the very least," The archangel shrugged.

"We're wasting time, they could be-"

"Look, Sam, they can take care of themselves, I'm sure they'll still be alive after we eat." Gabriel's stare was hard as he looked up at Sam, and the hunter was reminded of the immense power the short angel held, even if he usually used it for stupid shit. In a way, it was scary, being so close to a legendary being after only hearing of them in religious texts, even after he had grown to know them like an ordinary person. Well, except Lucifer. He was still terrifying. His face was the one that still danced in his nightmares at night and, in sleepless times like lately, in the corners of his sight. But Gabriel had first been introduced to them as a mortal, and then as another low-life monster, which is the impression that stuck with him like a label stretched across Gabriel's chest. Most times he forgot how truly powerful the archangel was. It made his heart race.

After that, the two ate in relative silence, and before Sam knew it they were out the diner door slipping a tip on the counter. "Where now?" Sam asked, but Gabriel kept walking down onto the sandy beach, which was surprisingly empty. Perhaps Gabriel has used some of his power to ward visitors away, and appreciating the semi-privacy, the hunter followed him, the cawing of the gulls the only sound between the two. The quiet made Sams stomach twist. Was Gabriel mad at him? Did he want an apology?

"Gabriel-"

"I'm not here to live out a drama, Sam," Gabriel sat down slowly in the soft sand, and Sam took a place beside him, and while his gaze was focused on Gabriel, Gabriel was staring out to the ocean horizon as he spoke. "I'm here to find my brother. Castiel is the only angel I love who hasn't been murdered or murdered me. As far as I'm concerned, he's my only true brother," It pained Gabriel to say this. Sam could tell without even having to look at his face, "And I know he's strong. He's smart and is capable of kicking ass by himself. But I am worried and I want to find him as much as you want to find Dean. Locking yourself in your bunker all day with Yahoo news isn't going to help either of us." He turned now to face Sam, looking so changed from the goofball with a shit-eating grin he always pretended to be. It was hard for Sam to keep his gaze firmly locked with Gabriel's, so he now looked out into the blue ocean, knowing he had no argument.

"You're right. Yeah, you're right," Sam shook his head so his hair covered his face.

"I know, I always am." Gabriel smirked smugly. Of course, there was that cocky personality of his. Sam looked at him and smiled. It had been a while since he did, but the archangel had a way of pulling out happiness in the darkest corners of a person. It wasn't one of his angel abilities, it was just him. Gabriel shifted slightly closer to Sam and the both of them stared out at the ocean, a long, comfortable silence stretching between them, lost in thoughts that didn't exist, like they were drowning in air.