"I went to school that day and had to climb those stairs and everything," Saloni said and I nodded, my mind elsewhere.

Mrs.Jha put down a glass of sherbet before me and I gave her a thankful smile, peering at her oblivious son through the rim of the glass. Well, everyone has had their share of inconspicuous ogling in their life.

Feeling my gaze on him, he looked straight at me. Only when he raised his eyebrows, did I realise that I was pinning him with my gaze and I adjusted myself in my seat and diverted my eyes.

But the question always is: Is he still looking at me? Omigod, is he still looking!

My traitorous eyes honed back on him casually and he was chewing his food slowly, still observing my bizarre manners.

I literally felt at that some point Kabir was going to know that some flowery feelings were blooming in me by some of my weird mannerisms and was going to use it as leverage against me.

Of course, that worry sprung from the day I saw my classmate telling his jock friends how clingy his girl is behind her back. Not that Kabir would ever behave like that sewer rat but still.

I cleared my throat. "Can I have the halwa?" I asked him pointedly and he passed the glass bowl over. Our fingers brushed and I drew in a quick breath, grabbing the bowl. I was behaving like those hopeless heroines in those movies who would combust under the touch of the male counterparts.

I wasn't one of them!

I think.

I looked around warily at the elders before serving myself a miniature portion of the sweet. I hate halwa.

"Seeming a little jittery recently?" Kabir said and he was perfectly audible over the chaotic symphony of voices.

"You know...Very important exam and all this year. Its um, stressful."

He tossed a slice of carrot into his mouth and rested his hands on the table. "Stressed? You?"

I tried to smile. "Yeah, you know...Teachers are a little tough on us," I laughed weakly.

"Hmm.Too bad..."

Not able to take the amused glint in his eyes, I was going to retort when Saloni interrupted us with a fresh scoop of gossip. Saloni continued to talk which didn't quite reach my mind but I nodded for her benefit.

Months flitted by.

I dropped my satchel on the sofa and was welcomed by the sight of my parents happily laughing at the dinner table and my sister working out calculus as if her life depended on it.

"Hey, Chinnu."(little one)My mother smiled affectionately and my dad ruffled my hair.

"Why is this little one so big?"

My sister snickered and I glared at her.

She, however, went back to her studies pretending not to see me.

"Siya isn't it 7 already? You should go."

My mother told her before disappearing into the kitchen.

Kabir was writing his Board exams that year and my sister was tutoring him in Math, the nerd she is.

"Aw, okay."My sister sighed reluctantly, closing the calculus book and looking at it lovingly while I slumped on the sofa to watch Ben 10.

"Oh, is she gone? "My mother asked a while later.

I stopped rummaging for my snacks when she peeked out and nodded vigorously.

"Arey, I prepared fish curry and Lata loves it. I should've sent some with her, "She lamented.