Chapter Eight--(part 2) It must be true.

Start from the beginning

"Kellan should blame himself if he just butted out after our engagement announcement..." Jaxon pursed his lips. "Sorry, it's hard not to hear your thoughts when you're sitting this close." He wrapped an arm around me and gestured with his head toward his father. "I wouldn't worry about his leg. My father has more enemies than friends for a reason. He deserves that and a whole lot more."

Otis transferred his weight to his good leg and rubbed his thumb against his fingers. His intimidating muscular frame gave him the appearance of a heavyweight wrestler ready for action. "The girl in question has indeed captured the heart of one in my circle, and signed a contract over three years ago."

"Three years? That's a long time to wait to complete a coupling ceremony," Archemaeus responded.

"Yes," Brackstone agreed. "Why so long?"

Otis turned to the audience. "The girl disappeared from Acklemar and only recently returned."

"Disappeared? That's impossible. All travel to and from Acklemar is regulated," Archamaeus' sight turned toward me. "No traveler can leave without portal registration."

"It seems you've already guessed, Archamaeus." Otis waved a finger at the council. "This girl is special and doesn't need portals to travel, making her union to a leader in our circle a desirable one. However, she managed to slip away one night and nearly broke my son's heart in the process. Now that Miss Delacroix has returned, she's destined to be the future leader of my circle,"—Otis pointed at Kellan—"and he dares to seal her away."

Murmurs circled the room, and the people gawked at me like a circus sideshow. The stale air thickened like raspberry syrup, sickening sweet and full of seeds.

"I'm here to demand restitution for the Water Circle's interference with this partnership agreement," Otis continued.

"If you will." Jaxon stood and helped me to my feet. "Since both Wren and I are named, we'd like to address the charges in this case."

Blackstone nodded and waved us forward. "You may approach."

My legs weakened. Descending each stair felt like wading through a rising tide. Waves of pheromones slammed into my chest, calling me toward Kellan.

I clutched Jaxon's arm and tried to clear my parched throat quietly. "I don't think I can do this."

Yes, you can. Your life depends on it. He paused at the bottom of the stairs, placed his hand on the small of my back, and tugged me toward him. His chest pressed against me and he cupped my cheek with a palm. I can't lose you again.

He tipped my chin up with a finger, and someone hollered from the audience, "Kiss her!"

Jax let out a single chuckle, and his cheeks flushed. "Demanding aren't they?"

Behind Jax, Otis looked on with an eyebrow raised as if he were evaluating my intentions.

"Yeah, they are." I licked my lips, knowing we had an audience and everything hinged on my ability to convince them Kellan hadn't come between us. "So what are you waiting for?"

"Nothing..." Jax lowered his lips to mine, and he called forth his flames within me.

His tongue swept my lips, igniting an intense desire for him. He dove deeper into our kiss, crushing his lips to mine. In the far corner of my mind, I could hear the Fire Circle chanting Jaxon's name, encouraging him on. His fingers dragged through my hair and down my back, making my skin tingle. The thin, invisible thread that linked us together, looped around me, fortifying our connection. Jax hugged me tight to him and lifted from our kiss. His forehead touched mine, and the tip of our noses brushed each other.

"I love you," he whispered out of breath. "Never forget it." Jaxon unfastened the chain around my neck and dropped the rainbow-colored Dekarta stone into my palm. "Go show them you're the one in control, not them."

"You're not coming?" I glanced at the empty judgment chair, then over to the council where Kellan lounged with his arms crossed and lips pursed, staring at me.

Jax hooked a finger on my chin, directing my gaze back to him. "No, they'll question us one at a time." He smoothed my hair. "Don't worry—I'll be right here."

"Ladies first, Miss Delacroix..." The corners of Archamaeus' mouth twisted and he gestured toward the chair. "Should you have something to say, now's the time. We'll try to be swift in getting 'to the matter at hand.'"

I clenched the stone in my hand, letting its sharp edges cut into my palm, reminding me this wasn't a dream. The gate squeaked open in Jax's grip, and I plodded my way toward the forceful truth that awaited to be told. When I got to the chair, I hesitated and stared at the frozen, sculpted creststar flower Kellan had left for me. I palmed the cold stem from the seat, hoping no one had seen it there.

"Is something wrong, my dear?" Blackstone asked behind me.

I turned and faced council. The icy petals bit into my fingers and plucked at my heart. "Wrong? Why would anything be wrong?"

I grabbed my skirt and lowered into the chair.

She loves me. She loves me not... Kellan leaned forward, rested his elbows on his knees, then interlaced his fingers. A pink scar marred one side of his face and bruises decorated the other. There's no hiding from the truth now, is there?

Did you ever stop to think I'm trying to save you? I smoothed out my dress trying not to drip the melting ice on the fabric. Or maybe you want to die.

Life without love is death. Kellan straightened up in his chair. Trust me, I've tried it, and look what it's cost us.

You're suicidal.

Whatever it takes, love.

Hey, asshole. Jaxon thumped a fist on top of the gate. Stop being selfish, and maybe try not to get Wren killed.

"We've all seen my son's spiral flame, claiming you as his chosen." Otis paraded onto the floor like a peacock showing off its feathers. By his twisted smirk and calculated expression, it was clear he had a plan. "And yet the Water Circle's First, also says he loves you as if it's an obvious statement of fact." Otis's lips thinned and curled in the corners. "Why might that be?"

Kellan rested back in his chair.

"It must be true," I answered. "Even you saw the stone weigh the truth of his words."

The chair hummed beneath me, giving off a faint glow. I clutched the ice in my hand and called to the flames within me to warm my skin. The remainder of the tiny flower dripped from my fingertips, forming a puddle next to the chair.

"But that's not what you were asking." I spread my wet fingers wide against my chest, letting the droplets seep into my skin. Kellan's knotted ring propelled past the dress' neckline and circled my palm with its rolling waves. I fixed my gaze on Kellan. "I believe you wanted to know about this." 

Hi all! Sorry for the delay. I just resigned my position for a new one and that took a ton of time this past weekend with contracts going back and forth. Anyway, Hope you enjoyed the latest chapter! Please support an unpaid author with a vote or a comment!  Thanks. :)