We're Not Friends

My mother was sitting in her car, waiting outside.

I hopped into the car. "Hi Mom. What brings you here?"

Seriously. Why the frigg is she here?

"Well, honey, you weren't coming to visit us so I thought I'd pick you up from school so that we could get some brunch and talk."

"Mom, as much as I appreciate the gesture, I'm afraid I have to politely decline since I really want to focus on my education."

Sounded sly enough.

"Don't worry honey, you won't miss much." she said, then drove off.

My morning hasn't been going very well. First, I can't remember what the fuck happened last night now this!

"So, honey, how has school been? I'm proud to say we haven't received any phone calls about bad behaviour."

There's that word again. Honey. Well, she is my mother so I think I oughta cut her some slack. 

"It's been really good."

"So, you have a choice: pancakes or ice cream."

"I thought you said brunch." I said, confused.

"Well, I know you're mad at me so I'm trying to make it up to you. I know you love both."

"So, in other words, you're trying to bribe me. With food."

She looked kind of scared. I could be scary sometimes... I get that from my dad .

"No honey, of course not. Your dad and I missed out on so much of your childhood, I just wanted to spend some time with you."

"Oh yeah, I remember my childhood where Emily practically raised me. Sure, she was my baby-sitter but that didn't mean she was my mother, though she was a good mother." I said.

 I was about to say: a better mother than you ever were but that would be taking it too far so instead I said, "To answer your question, I would like pancakes."

I saw hurt in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"That's ok, sweetie, you were only telling the truth."

We pulled up at IHOP. 

We were seated and I ordered. My mom said she wasn't hungry. 

My food came and I dug in, seeing as I only ate that apple this morning.

We talked and surprisingly, it was fun. I was actually enjoying myself. When I finished eating, she dropped me off at school. It was lunch time by then and Nylon was just walking out of school. Shit! I can't let him see me. I ducked into the car.

"Hey, isn't that your friend who was at the house. Hello there!" she shouted the last part to him.

Could this get any more embarrassing?

Nylon walked up to the car and looks in. "Oh, good morning, Mrs. Lyons." (a/n can't remember if I had a surname) 

"Good morning. I meant to ask Jordana. How long have you two been going out?"

Apparently, this could get more embarrassing.

"Hahaha, we;re not going out, Mom. What would give you such a ridiculous idea?" I asked her, blushing crimson red.

"Oh, you're not? I just assumed when we came by the house. Sorry about the misunderstanding but you two would make a great couple."

"Well, bye mom." I said, opening the door but I forgot Nylon was standing there. The door slammed into him and he fell to the ground.