Chapter 7

When morning came, Mariah and I headed to the underground prison.

There were no guard's, which I thought was pretty stupid, so we opened the door and went to the last cell only to see Mendoza and Ali in the corner sleeping.

“Hey guys.”  the Lieutenant raised her voice. She opened the cell and nudged them with her foot. “Time to get up.”

They jolted into a sitting position, their eyes wide in fear. They looked around until their eyes landed on us before relaxing.

“What did you guys find?” I asked.

“Not much. He said that he'll be attacking soon and said something about the government.” Mendoza informed us, leaning against the wall once he realized that they weren't in any danger.

“What?” I asked. “What do you mean ‘government’? Is he talking about the U.S. government?”

“I think I heard him say the U.S.” Ali pipes up.

“Great. Now he's planning on attacking the government also.”

“Well we don't know for sure. I mean it could be the Afghanistan government.” Mariah tried to reassure.

“But why would he want to attack the Afghanistan government when he has Afghanistan's working for him?” I protested.

“We'll just have to get more information.” She turned to Mendoza and Ali. “Get more information about when the attack is going to happen and what government they will be planning to attack also. Make are you get the details.” she nods towards the door. “You may leave, but make sure that you don't get caught.”

They nodded and left.

I sighed.

“What are we going to do?”

“We need to get more information. After they do that the best we'll see if they are planning on attacking the government and if they are, then we'll call them and explain to them of what's going on.”

I nodded.

“Okay. Let's go explain it to the guys before they leave on patrol.”

“Okay.”

We left the cell, but made sure that the cell door was closed but not locked.

As we entered the tent all the Lieutenants were either tying their boots, buttoning up their jackets or checking their guns. They all looked up and stopped what they were doing when we lifted the flap and entered.

“What's the news?” Zach asked. He was laying on his cot with his head propped up against the pillow.

I quickly did a scan of the group and saw Liam in his cot looking at us in anticipation.

“All they know is that he will be attacking us soon and he wants to take down the government.” Mariah spoke.

“Do they know which government?” Peter asked putting his gun on his lap.

“No. They don't know when they are attacking either. We sent them back to get us more information.”

“Did you see anything, Zach?” I asked directing my attention to him.

He shook his head.

“No. It was silent, like everybody was dead.”

“Did you see anything, Liam?”

He shook his head.

“I was close to Zach.”

“Okay.” I sighed. “Don't forget your walkie-talkies and remember to push the button when you are in trouble.”

They nodded their heads simultaneously as they continued to get ready.

I spun around and laid down, putting my arm over my eyes.

“Make sure you take one of the dogs with you.” I heard Lieutenant Bachmann say. “Watch their signs, even though they don't speak, they'll tell you what's wrong.”

I heard a lot of affirmatives before the flap lift and the shuffling of feet exited filled my ears.

It was silent except for the shuffling that Mariah was making.

The guys must already be asleep. I thought.

Sighing again, I sat up and looked over at Mariah's cot to see her on her side with her back facing me. Her side was going at a steady pace, signaling that she fell asleep.

She still had her jacket on but her boots and helmet off, that were laying besides her cot. She had her arm tucked under her head. Her hair was down from its usual bun, making her hair curl down the cot, almost touching the floor.

Dante was laying on the foot of her cot making her curl her knees to make room for him.

I smiled.

Both of them were out like a light and they needed it.

I decided to take my jacket off and use it as a blanket. I draped my arm over my eyes and one over my head before falling asleep.