Chapter 3

After showing the streets that Liam would be patrolling, Lieutenant Buchmann and I went to the gate to start our patrol there.

“Are we gonna patrol together or go our separate ways?” I asked when we reached the gate..

“We’ll patrol together at first so you’ll get used to the route, then we’ll go our separate ways.” she said stopping at the gate and turning towards me.

I nod.

We started to walk the perimeter in silence before I spoke.

“How long have you been in Afghanistan?” I asked, my voice low.

“About a year and a half.” she replied keeping her head straight with her eyes wandering.

My eyes widen. “Wow. Have you ever been home in that time?”

There was a moment of silence before she shook her head.

“Why not?” I pressed curiosity edging my voice.

“Because I don’t have anybody back home.” she said small voice.
I nodded and kept my mouth shut, afraid if I push another question towards her, that she’ll shut down.

“What about you? How long have you been diploid?” she asked looking at me, then back to the run down buildings and the wall.

“Today would be my second year.”

“Do you like it so far?”

“Yeah. It’s alright. Once you get passed all the abuse they make you go through it’s not bad. Plus, it’s the only thing I know except for my family.” I added. “What about you? When did you get diploid?”

“When I was eighteen, so about three years ago.”

I nodded and stayed quiet. We stayed that way for the rest of the night, listening to any sound, with Ashes a couple yards in front of us.

My eyes kept flicking from the worn down buildings, to the wall, to Ashes and then to Mariah.

She was hiding something. I can see it in her eyes and the way she avoided to answer my question, and I was determined to find out what it was.

By the time we saw the light from the sun coming over the sky, we circled the wall about five times. We reached the tent and Mariah and I walked in to start waking the slumbering Lieutenants.

I walked to Jason, who was sitting up in the cot, with his feet touching the ground, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“Hey, man.” he said looking at me once he finished rubbing his eyes.

“Hey.” I replied, unbuttoning my jacket, letting it slip from my shoulders.

“How was patrol? Was there anything off?”

“No, not really.”

“Bummer.” he chuckles, getting up to get his jacket from the foot of his cot, that was currently laying on the floor.

I chuckled and shook my head. “Only you.” I looked up at him with a smile plastered my face.

“I know.” he smiles and puts his jacket on.

I bent over to untie my boots when I heard the flap of the tent move. I looked up and saw Zach, Liam and Mariah walk in. As Zach gets closer, I could see the bags under his eyes. He sits down on his cot and puts his head in his hands, rubbing his eyes.

I smirked. “Are you okay, Zach?” I said trying to suppress the laughter that threaten to come out.

“I’m glad my state of drowsiness humors you.” he said dryly lifting his head to glare at me. “And for your information. I’m fine, just not used to working graveyards.” he puts his head back in his hands.