Mt. Moon and New 'Friends'

Start from the beginning

        “Are you going to be our cave guide, Gastly?” Jen asked sweetly.

        Gastly nodded. “I remember going through Mt. Moon with my previous master. I shall lead you through the cave as quickly as I can, master.”

        Jen grimaced. “Please stop calling me master! I am no one’s master. I am just your trainer and friend.” She desperately wanted to put volume to those words, but decided against telling her Pokemon her secret just yet.

        Vulpix nudged Jen’s foot and gazed up at her with pleading eyes. “Up?”

        Jen’s heart just about melted at the sight of Vulpix’s puppy-dog eyes. “You want to ride in the basket?”

        Vuplix nodded.

        “Okie-dokie!” Jen scooped the fox Pokemon up and placed her gently in the front basket.

        Gastly froze and glanced around the cavern.

        Jen stopped as well. “What’s wrong, Gastly?”

        The ghost Pokemon remained still for a moment before continuing onward in silence. Even Vulpix seemed a bit uneasy.

        “Did you two hear something or someone?” She asked as softly as she could.

        Vulpix only stared at her. She looked like she wanted to say something, but didn’t know how to tell Jen. If only she knew that Jen could understand them. Once again, Jen was desperately debating whether or not to tell them she could indeed hear them, but how would they react?

        “Man, it’s been years since the last time we came through here, huh?” Someone up ahead said. Their voice rebounded of the cave walls.

        “Shh…someone could be coming.” A second voice growled.

        “Sorry. I’ll be quieter.” The first complained.

        “SHUT UP!”

        Jen froze as the mountain cave went dead silent.

        “Come on.” The first voice whined. “No one’s coming, Clara.”

        “No, not yet.” Clara replied sternly.

        “But why? I’m sick of being stuck in this stupid cave. We’ve been here ever since that stupid blackout.”

        “Blackout? Like the one in Pallet Town?” Jen thought.

        “Were you asleep when we were briefed? Yesterday, at the same instant, the whole region of Kanto went dark. Our boss sent us here to look for any Legendary that could have caused it. If we are to find said Legendary, we are to report it and attempt to capture it.”

        “Well, duh! I know that. I just don’t understand why we had to stay in this cave all day long. If the Legendary was here, then it probably ran away way before we even arrived. Plus, I’m bored.”

        Clara sighed heavily.

        “What?”

        “Lacy, you’re completely hopeless.”

        “Hey!”

        Jen looked at Gastly. “Is there any way around them?” She whispered.

        Gastly thought for a moment, quickly mapping out the cave, and shook his head.

        “All righty then. I guess we’ve got no choice, but to go and make some new friends.”