Eighteen

Two hours have passed since Ava Paige started working on Chuck. I was so scared of many different things. There were so many different potential outcomes.

On one hand, this could completely not work. Chuck dies and Newt doesn't come back.

On the second hand, Chuck dies and Newt comes back to life, but he doesn't remember me.

One the third, happy, hand, everything goes as planned. Chuck sacrifices himself, Newt comes back, and we live happily.

I really hope for the third hand. All I can do, as my mom said, have hope and things will go right.

Another thirty minutes passed in silence before we heard the door open. Ava Paige walked out with a smile. "It was a success. Now all we have to do is bring Newt back." I smiled, but it quickly went away when I looked into Chuck's room and saw a blanket covering over his body. "Can we-?" I gestured into the room. Dr. Paige nodded and I went in. "Hey, Chuck," I smiled through tears, "thank you. Really. This means so much to me. And don't worry, I'll tell the police what your parents did to you. I promise. They don't deserve to be able to continue living out in the open, knowing that your death was their fault."

I stayed in the room with Chuck, every once in a while thanking him. Other times saying that I was sorry that his parents made him want to die. But most of the time I was silent, praying for the best to happen with Newt.