Chapter 17. The Crypt of Marsena

The ancient city of Marsena stood out unmistakably in the grassland area, with scattered trees surrounding it. The site was filled with several marble and stone ruins, with one structure having columns with a missing roof. Inside the structure was the statue of a curly haired man with short-sleeved armor. His arms were missing.
James admired the structure from his horse.

"A Nomarian temple" he said.
James could also see an amphitheater far away, along with what looked like a small arena. A few metres away there was a river with the white buildings of a small town farther away.
The excavation site stood out unmistakably among the city, with wooden structures and workers excavating the underground marble crypt which was inside a rectangular hole. Gelandian guards stood on patrol.
Wheelbarrows stood around the crypt, filled with artifacts such as a marble bust of a bearded man, a golden necklace and a small stone figurine.

James and Daniel rode to the crypt, where they were greeted by some Gelandian guards and a Gelandian captain. He wore shiny iron armor and a helmet with blue feathers. James and Daniel shook their hands.

"Welcome, James and Daniel Canner. My name is Captain Vilnius. I have been expecting you." said the captain.

"I suspect you know why we're here?" said James.

"Yes. You are here to help us excavate the object of immense power that is hidden in this crypt, and to get it to Pardrid safely. " said Vilnius.

"Can you tell me about the history of the city of Marsena?" asked James.

"Well, it was built by the Nomarian empire 2000 years ago. This city was one of the first they founded which was located outside of their homeland in Nomaria. It was also an important city, linking their homeland of Nomaria with the province of Provardus, which corresponds to the south-center of Geland where we are right now. We think that the crypt is where one of the Nomarian Emperors, Gallus Caesarian is buried along with his greatest General Tharin Augustus. They were both Gelandians" explained Vilnius.

"I know of Emperor Gallus. He was probably the best Emperor of the Empire, a fair and just ruler to all the peoples of Cletus under his rule. His general Tharin was a fierce warlord who defeated the enemies of the empire and expanded its borders towards southern Libernia and the Elvenlands with the help of a Jehovian Seal. He was blessed by our God August, which is why he is named Tharin Augustus, although his real name was Tharin Octavian. Augustus means 'blessed by God' in Taurin, the language of the Nomarians" said James.

"Yes. You are a very learned individual, James. I had trouble believing that the Jehovian Seal was buried here, I was so astonished. But the magical aura that I felt emanating from the artifact, even from here in the surface, means it has to be a Jehovian Seal.

"What happened to the city?" asked Daniel.

"Well, it appears to have been sacked and razed to the ground during the incursions of the barbarian tribes from the Pale-Reach when the Nomarian Empire fell. They were driven back by a joint Nomarian and Gelandian army before they could discover its aicnet artifact, but the damage had already been done to the city We have been re-excavating the city in recent years, suspecting that it contains something very magical and powerful. Now no more questions, we have a task to do here. The entrance to the crypt appears to be closed, but there is a black symbol of a hand. See if one of you can open it" explained Vilnius.

James, Daniel and Vilnius walked down the steps to the crypt. James put his hand on the black symbol, and words in Taurin appeared above it.

"Handlirian, you are worthy to enter the crypt of Emperor Gallus Caesarian and his General Tharin Augustus" read James.

The door to the crypt slid open.

"I'm glad you came. This tomb really was meant only to be navigated by Handlirians. After all, Emperor Gallus Caesarian was one of the most pro-Handlirian Emperors, and had a Handlirian Mage, Dumpletan, as his advisor"

Vilnius took out an unlit torch, and James lit it using a fire spell.

The crypt's marble walls glowed beautifully. James, Daniel and Vilnius walked down a passage before stopping at a ledge. Below the ledge was a small pool.

"We are going to have to jump off the ledge into the water. I guess I won't be able to use the torch anymore. Brace yourselves" said Vilnius.

Vilnius threw his torch into the water, and James extended his hand, casting a ball of light which lit the way.