Chapter 9: Taking a Break in Calablin

Back in Calablin, Tom told James to come to his workshop when he had a chance. During his break from classes, James made his way to Tom's workshop from the Handlirian Academy in the afternoon.

When James arrived at the workshop, Tom waited for him at the front door.

"Hello, James. I hope you are doing all right. I asked you to come by to inform you that me and my son, Christoph, have finished building the glider. Come in and take a peek" said Tom.

James and Tom entered the workshop, where there was a blue blanket covering the glider on a large wooden table in the centre. Christoph pulled off the blanket, revealing the glider, which was made out of wood and a tan cloth, and had wings shaped like a bird.

"Ta-da!" said Christoph.

James regarded the glider, and his mouth opened with awe.

"That's amazing. How does it work?" he asked.

"Well, I'm sure you know that the glider is supposed to allow you to fly. You do so by jumping off a high altitude and extending your arms. The glider will keep you in the air and will prevent you from falling as long as you keep your arms extended" said Tom.

"But won't you eventually lose altitude and fall to the floor?" asked James.

"Yes, but it will be a slow and safe fall. You will be gliding to the floor and covering plenty of distance. It's a safe fall. This is a revolutionary new invention, never before seen in the continent"

"Would you like to test it? We need to make sure the invention actually works the way that it's supposed to. You can head over to the top balcony of the Handlirian Academy and jump off it to fly over Calablin," said Christoph.

"Sure," said James.

So James, Tom and Christoph walked out of the workshop and traveled through the streets of Calablin while carrying the glider.

James, Tom and Christoph carried the glider past the stone bridge and some steps which led up to the Handlirian Academy.

They then headed through the courtyard of the Academy into the main building, which was wide and made out of wood with limestone. It's roof was made of dark blue, and the building also had a wooden white tower. Tom pointed at it.

"That would be a good place to jump from" he said.

James, Tom and Christoph brought the glider into the building. Inside, there was a hall with two staircases. In between them was a marble statue of a Handlirian knight sporting a sword on one hand and a bow on the other.

At the top of the room there were beautiful stained glass windows, and their colorful light shone down on the floor and steps of the hall. There were also many tapestries on the walls. Some of the students in the hall looked at the glider in awe with widened eyes.

James and Christoph set the glider on the floor and panted to catch their breath. A dark haired elven student wearing the blue and white Handlirian robes approached them.

"Another of your inventions Tom?" she asked.

"Yes. A glider. James Canner here is going to test it. He is going to jump off the hall's tower" replied Tom.

"That's cool! I know you, James. You're the Prince of Libernia and a phenomenal student!"

James and the student shook hands.

"Hello, Nina" he said

"Be careful, James. The glide could be dangerous"

"Don't worry, we will be" responded James.