Hope

Eli's trembling hand was enclasped with mine, his head resting on my shoulder as he fell asleep in the new patient room the nurse put us in. He refused to get back into any of the hospital beds, but he was so exhausted from the physical therapy and from almost being killed that he fell asleep in the wooden chair while we waited for my dad to come. 

I was torn between leaving him and going to search for Reggie. I hoped that we at least bought some time since the frat guy who attacked Eli was taken into custody. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of his frat brothers were gathering their best lawyers to come talk their way out. 

Meanwhile, Sean was being checked into the hospital for a facial laceration and hand repair, meaning I couldn't see him yet either. 

'Why wasn't Peter here' I cried to myself as I held his pendant in my fist. He would know what to do next. He always did. 

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. 

"Daisy, are you okay?" My dad said as he came to my side, examining my face to make sure I wasn't hurt. 

"Dad, it's the fraternity." I said, ignoring his question, "It's Alpha Phi Beta. They're responsible for all of this!" I tried to contain my voice as to not wake Eli up, but it didn't work as he stirred next to me, "They tried to kill Eli, and I have proof! Sean and I snuck into the house and we found text messages of them planning the attack!"  

Eli groaned from beside me, slowly straightening himself up into a seated position. He seemed to struggle with even the slightest movement.

My dad sighed and ran a hand over his face, "I know. Briggs and I already know that they're involved, but someone stole all our evidence and we can't search any of their belongings without a warrant. And we can't get a warrant because we no longer have proof."

"But-"

"Your confession alone is not sufficient enough to obtain a warrant. Especially because you guys received your information illegally."

Fuck.

"But dad, Reggie is involved with the frat. And I haven't been able to reach him. I don't know if he's okay." 

"The frat?" Eli said, rubbing his eyes, finally registering what was being said, "You mean Alpha Phi Beta?" 

My dad and I stared at him. 

"Yeah." I said, cautiously, surprised that Eli was speaking in front of my dad. He vehemently swore that he didn't want to speak to any cops, and here he was, talking to the lead detective.

"It was them." Eli said, looking at my dad, "All those years ago. They killed Peter. And they've tried to kill me twice already." 

My dad turned to face him directly, "Eli, I need you to make sure you're aware of what you're saying. Are you saying you remember what happened?" 

Eli laughed humorlessly, "I've never forgotten. I just didn't want to tell any of you because I was afraid they'd come back for me or my family. But I guess that doesn't stop them. So screw them. I'll tell you everything. I'll carve it in fucking stone if I need to." this time he looked at me, "Anything to get you guys a warrant so you can take those fuckers down once and for all." 

My dad stood up suddenly, "There are two armed officers standing guard outside of this room. Do not leave. I'm going to need your written and recorded statement." He rushed to the door, "Stay here!" he said once again before leaving.

I stared at Eli in shock, my jaw agape. "Eli-"

"Fuck them Daisy!" He said, suddenly furious, "They keep trying to take things from me! They keep ruining my life! I don't care what they do to me anymore but I can't let them hurt anyone else," his eyes swelled with tears, "I can't even sleep without having nightmares about what they've done or what they might do. I've kept quiet for so long and yet they still try to hurt me!" 

My heart ached at the pain in his eyes. Why did innocent people have to suffer? 

"Daisy," he said, wiping the tears at his eyes, "I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner. This could have all been avoided if I had just-" 

"Eli." I said sternly, interrupting him, "You've been through something I can't even pretend to understand. You have the right to feel whatever you want to feel, and to react however you wish to react. You don't need to apologize for anything." 

He looked at his hands which were still trembling. 

"My dad will be back soon." I said as I stood up, "But I need to go find my brother." 

Eli nodded.

"Will you be okay?" 

"Come back later tonight and ask me again." 

I reached out and squeezed his hand in reassurance, "We'll figure this out. I promise." 

When I opened the door to leave, my dad wasn't lying, there really were two armed officers guarding the room. They didn't let me leave until I started fake crying about visiting Sean and making sure he was okay. They were convinced I was just some little high school girl with a crush. Which I wasn't. But whatever works is fine with me. 

I walked hurriedly down the hall, looking for Sean's room number. The officers told me I only had five minutes before they would come looking for me. 

"Sean!" I screamed when I saw him. I couldn't help myself as I ran into the room and gave him a hug. I had been so worried after the security dragged him away. After all, he was only in this mess because of me. 

"Ow." He breathed out in pain, before I realized I was crushing his already injured hand. I pulled back and finally registered the stitches to his scalp and the bandage compressing his wrist. 

"I'm okay." He smiled, "It's all just superficial. Nothing permanent or really damaging. But damn can that guy throw a punch." 

"That guy? What about you? Who knew you could actually fight." 

"Yeah, trust me, I had no idea either." 

"Do you feel well enough to join me for one more ride?" 

"To find Reggie?" he asked and I nodded my head. 

 Sean stood up and slid on his jacket, "Let's go." 

I followed him out of the room and down the emergency stairs, avoiding the officers near Eli's room. When we got to the parking lot we found our car was still running. We were in such a hurry we completely forgot to even turn it off, or take the keys. 

"Do you have any idea as to where Reggie could be?" Sean asked as he got in the passengers side. 

"I think so." I said, thinking to the off campus house my brother occasionally stayed in with his friend. I had been there twice before the semester started. And I knew Reggie visited often. It was my last hope. If he wasn't there, then I would have no idea where else he could be. I just hoped he was anywhere besides six feet under.