♤Chapter 7♤

“I crashed it.”

 His eyebrows rose and he blinked.

 Less than two weeks ago, I got my permit. And yesterday was the first time I sat behind the wheel of a car and experienced driving first hand. Everything up until the last part was cool.

 Back to the present. Chris and I were sitting in Burger King. I totally lied to my Mom and told her we were going as a group and while I hated doing it, I needed to vent and he was free until four. I have another three hours.

 “Wait you're serious?”

 “Yes,” I said incredulously, “Why would I joke about it?” I dipped a chicken nugget in barbeque sauce and stuffed it in my mouth, eating away my miseries.

 “Okay, what happened?” He asked, folding his arms and leaning forward.

 “It was fine,” I said, still chewing but I couldn't care right now, “Until we got into the school's parking lot where all those yellow posts are and shit. Why are they even there!” I exclaimed, the feeling of guilt creeping up on me again.

 I let out a breath, “We were coming out of the parking lot and she said I should turn wide or some shit like that,” I made a face, “And I did, but after that everything was a fucking blur. I don't remember what the hell happened or how we even ended up hitting the post. It was those random ass small posts that they put in a couple of the entrance slash exit thingies. We went over the curb and smacked right into it,” I told him.

 I still felt so stupid and guilty because I don't even understand how it happened. And the thing is when she asked me if I wanted to go driving yesterday my gut told me to say no and now I'm regretting not following it.

 “That and I could hardly see the road. The seat was too low,” I mumbled and heard him chuckle. I threw a piece of lettuce at him, “It's not funny!”

 “I'm sorry!” He laughs and I shook my head at him, “Okay, so what if,” he started and I looked up at him with a fry halfway toward my mouth. I watched as he ran his thumb across his bottom lip in thought. My mouth was probably hanging open. “I teach you.”

 I blinked out of my haze, shaking my head, “No.” I laughed dryly, sitting back in my chair, “No. We've already been through this.”

 “C’mon, it'll be fun with me at least,” he said with a lopsided grin, “I bet you were tense the whole time,” he said, leaning forward and resting his crossed arms on the table.

 “I mean, she was reaching over and tugging at the steering wheel every three seconds, I was perfectly relaxed,” I said sarcastically, dipping a fry in my barbeque sauce.

 I ignored his grin as he said, “Let me teach you,” he said again.

 I gave him a look, “I can't. Dude you're seventeen.”

 He sputtered wordlessly, “I-I know but what if,” he stopped for a moment before he snapped and pointed at me, “What if she comes with us?”

 I nodded slowly, “Okaaay… So not only do you want to die, but you're trying to kill my mother.” I said.

 He just stared at me, “Really?” He said and I shrugged, “Do you wanna learn how to drive or not?”

 “I do, but-”

 “We don't have to use my car. I have a truck, the seats are much higher and…” He trails off, nodding, “Y’know…”

 As I stared at him I couldn't stop the grin that was spreading across my face.