xxxix. ━━ battlefield of roses

Comenzar desde el principio

      "She's a smart girl."

      "I just want this war over."

      "We all want that."

      IT WASN'T MUCH LATER UNTIL SOMEONE CAME TO WHISK Erin away and Finnick was reluctant to let her go alone but she assured him she would be fine

      IT WASN'T MUCH LATER UNTIL SOMEONE CAME TO WHISK Erin away and Finnick was reluctant to let her go alone but she assured him she would be fine. She just needed to support Katniss in anway she could and she knew that Finnick despised being in the spotlight so she told him to stay put and wait for her to get back.

      Erin was instructed to go into one of the many rooms and she only nodded silently, stepping inside she spotted Effie with Katniss. The former Capitol inhabitant was working on Katniss's hair. Putting it in its iconic side bride before touching up on her make up. "You look beautiful." The light haired woman stated before turning to adress Erin.

      "Erin darling come here." She motioned her over, a warm smile on her face as the brunette stared confused at her.

      "Come one we don't have all day." Effie urged and unsure, Erin approached her, getting an ancouraging smile from Katniss who stood up so Erin could sit down.

      "Why do I need prepping?" The former district four woman asked looking over her shoulder and up at Effie.

      "President Coin wanted to show how good everyone is doing in thirteen. You're a continuity on every broadcast we made so far. I saw it fit we made you look your best while facing the Capitol." The light haired woman explained, already working on combing her hair.

      Erin chuckled, eyes shifting to Katniss who looked amused now that she wasn't the one being dressed up.

      It didn't take long for everyone else to join them and before Erin knew it they were trudging up the stairs with flashlights to get outside.

      She was walking near Cressida who was explaining what they were going to do with Katniss ahead of her. Effie was behind her to make sure everything went well "So Katniss, its 'Thirteen is alive and well and so am I, Katniss? Never one to waste it in rehearsal, I know."  Effie muttered

      The Girl On Fire ignored the woman as she remained silent, a stoic expression on her face. Effie grumbled under her breath as both Katniss and Erin fully stepped outside soon followed by the others into the bitter cold air.

      For a moment, Erin was blinded by the light from the sun, like she hadn't seen anything but artificial light in ages. She held her hand up to shield her eyes from the sun while she kept walking further outside before she noticed the destruction created by Snow and his followers.

      A huge gap filled with rubble and ruins was all she saw until she looked down and her breath hitched in her throat. Roses, hundreds of white roses. They were everywhere scattered around the remains of the surface of thirteen. Their sickly sweet smell hung in ther air. And she wondered. Was this what death looked like? A field of white roses.

      No one spoke for a minute as they took in this peculiar and horrific sight. Like this attack was one big show and this was the big finally everyone anticipated.

      Erin blinked away tears that threatened to spill. This was just a game, a sick game that Snow was playing with them. A white rose could only be asociated with him and the horrible games that ruined their lives. It was like he was waving their misery in their faces.

      Gale picked up a rose, twirling it in his hand, observing it carefully. Like he couldn't believe it to be real. "Why would they drop these?" 

      "For me," Katniss breathed out, a perfectly looking rose in her own hand, but her voice sounded lost for a moment.

      Cressida called from a distance in a strong and steady voice, trying not to let the view of roses get to her "ready to go, Mockingjay? We're gonna do this just like District Eight. Tell me about the roses." 

      Erin watched Katniss carefully as the girl looked up at the sky with teary eyes.

      "Tell Snow Thirteen is alive and well." Cressida instructed calmly."

      He's gonna kill Peeta," Katniss whispered, almost inaudiable

      "Lets try again, can you speak up? We don't have a mic on you." Cressida spoke again, this time a little louder, uncertain about the state of their mockingjay.

      "Thirteen is alive and well and so am I.' Come on, Katniss." Cressida pressed, one feet on top of a rock as she leaned forward to stare at Katniss.

      Erin wanted to run over to her friend, hold her close and make sure everything was alright, but her feet we're rooted to the ground. If they would kill Peeta, what would that mean for Annie? For Johanna?

      "I can't." Katniss spoke up a bit clearer but there was a noticable tremble in her voice as she looked around in panic.

      "You can do it, Katniss," Gale reassured Katniss, who was trembling on the spot staring at the roses in a bewildered state. 

      "I can't do this," Katniss denied, shaking her head furiously and Erin inched forward coming to stand next to Gale, her own eyes filled with unshed tears.

      "'Thirteen is alive and well and so are we.'" 

      "He's just gonna keep . . . he's never gonna stop." Katniss' voice cracked this time and Erin knew right then how much the raven haired girl truly loved Peeta.

      Snow could torture her, hurt her, throw her in the games and say anything to her, but the girl wouldn't care as long as Peeta was safe. Peeta was the piece of Katniss that held her together. That kept her going through this hell.

      Peeta was her anchor and she was losing him and she was drowing without him

      Erin couldn't stand by anymore and she rushed towards Katniss side. She could care less about the camera rolling before she embraced Katniss tighly. Turning her so the girl was facing away from the camera and instead the brunette focused on it.

      She could feel Katniss's grip tigthen and a fire burned within her. She loathed it when people were hurt and in spite of the Capitol she gritted her teeth.

      Suddenly her eyes snapped towards the camera that was still recording and flames burned within the depth of her eyes.

      "I want Snow to know as long as we life, as long as there are people suffering in the districts, as long as we have to we will fight you from this day till our last and you cannot stop us! You will not stop us and you will burn!"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬