Chapter 48: Keep Your Enemies Away

Start from the beginning

We walk downstairs. I tug at the bottom of my leather jacket, which I've brought as a sign of comfort, nervously. Then, I comb my fingers through my pastel pink strands. Archer, still rubbing his eyes, catches up with me. Just like me, he wears all black, from his button-up shirt to his leather watch.

He helps smooth down my hair. "You're nervous."

"No, I'm just - okay, fine, maybe a little little," I admit. "Should I have gotten a wig?"

"To hide your pink hair?"

"It makes me look ridiculous."

"And wearing a wig doesn't?"

"I guess that's true," I drop my hands. "Whatever. I shouldn't spend my money on Xavier and Gwen."

"And I like you with pink hair."

"So you've said," Still, I offer him a silent smile.

Archer lets my hair go, letting the strands brush against my cheek. He doesn't reply as we get into the reception hall. I glance at his expression, noting that he isn't as relaxed as he wants to show.

Along with the massive crowd, we gather in the reception hall. Kya and Sebastian follow us. At first, I take the lead, searching for my friends in the crowd. Then, two familiar faces - there's John from my art class, Jane from my swim team - startle me back into Archer. My back slams against his front as I duck my head away.

"Was that Peyton?" Jane says as they pass me.

"Can't be. She's gone."

"Yeah, but that leather jacket -"

" - and pink hair?"

I swivel back to Archer. "Damn it, people still recognize me."

"You've been gone only an year," He says, smiling, almost fondly. "I'm sure they'd recognize your face - not to mention your leather jacket. It's nice to see that the article of clothing is infamous even here."

I had worn my leather jacket out of comfort, but maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Archer nods to a point over my shoulder. "Found them."

I turn around again to find my friends next to the buffet table. I creep over to them, letting my pink hair curtain over my face. Andrew loads up on doughnuts while Jake convinces Irene to take a couple of extra snacks.

"...two is way more than enough."

"Take more."

"Get lost."

"Just one, for me?"

Irene hesitates, then takes the bag of chips. "Fine, but just for you - and we're sharing."

"Can I have some?" Says Kya, popping in before I have chance to say anything.

Both of them turn around, still in the graduation robes. Irene puzzles over Kya for her a second, but her eyes light up once she spots Archer and I behind her. "Yeah, take whatever you want! Peyton, Archer, you actually came."

"I told you I would," Feeling much better at the sight of my old friends, I smile. "I brought my friends with me."

"You made actual friends?"

"Yes, I told you that over the phone."

"Yeah, but I thought you were talking about pets," Irene's grin widens as Sebastian snorts. "Hey, I'm Irene."

As the Sebastian and Kya make introductions, I walk over to Andrew. His graduation robe is already stained with powdered sugar. I tap him on the shoulder. When he turns around, grinning, I bring my fist back and slam it into his jaw. He stumbles back, catching himself on the buffet table and clutching the side of his face. A couple of people yelp in surprise.