Chapter 20: Apathy is an Essential Quality

Rule #33: Apathy is an Essential Quality

It'll make people think you're friendly.

-()-

RECAP: It's almost Thanksgiving, so some of Peyton's hated cousins flew in. In order to get away from them, Peyton went over to the Raine house. Things went wrong, James fucked up and Peyton got hit over the head with a volleyball. It turns she had a concussion, that was caused by a car accident (first chapter), and so her mom signed her up for therapy. After two days of rest, Peyton's released from the hospital.

From my visit last time, I discerned that the Raine house didn't have a secure security system - in other words, they didn't have one at all. This makes things much easier for me, since I'm able to picklock my way in without any trouble. Since I come in early in the morning, there's nobody awake to notice me.

Except Buster.

He comes tottering down the stairs as soon as I close the door behind me.

"Shush," I say, placing a finger upon my lips.

When Buster stays quiet, I crouch down to give him a hug. He nuzzles his head in the crook of my neck eagerly. I give him a peck on the forehead and push myself again. Together, we creep up the stairs to Archer's bedroom.

One of the lights from a bedroom turns so I swing open the door and step inside before anybody - like Mrs. Raine - can spot me.

In my haste, I almost trip over one of cardboard Archer's boxes scattered around the room. This one's filled with camera supplies - film and lenses. Rolling my eyes, I step over it and examine his untidy room. He's added a few new additions to his art wall.

A few of them, I notice, are pictures of a girl. All of it is sketched in black and white - all except her pink hair. You can't see my face in them, but it's obvious it's me. In the midst of all the sketches lies my dumb thank-you card. I consider ripping it off, but then decide it would take too much time.

Archer's still snuggled up in his blankets when I approach. His peaceful expression makes me think twice on waking him up.

"What do you think is the best course of action?" I ask Buster, who comes over to sit by me. "Should I a) slap him, b) yank off his blankets c) open the curtains d) Pour a glass of water on his face or e) all of the above?"

Buster tilts his head curiously.

"I mean, it can't be too extreme, because then he might yell at me and that'll cause Mrs. Raine to wake up and then, she will yell at me."

Buster whines.

"I know," I stroke his fur comfortingly. "See, here's another problem. Should I even wake him up? I mean, he was pretty tired when he left last night and he has swim practice and homework and those college applications..."

"Peyton?"

Buster and I freeze.

Archer blinks and squints at the both of us, as if he can't comprehend what he's seeing. His soft brown hair is a mess. It's spread all over his pillow and face.

"Oh no," I whisper, mostly to myself. Is it too late to run yet?

"It is you," Archer sighs, now fully awake. "Peyton, what are you doing? You should be in bed right now."

"I've decided that a little thing like a concussion won't stop me from getting the rightful education that my adolescent brain needs," I say. And also because I didn't want to spend more time with Aunt Sue and Cousin Bettie. "So I snuck inside your house so nobody could stop me from going to school."