Chapter 40: Plan F

Mission: Get Rid of Peyton's Crush on Archer

Plan F: Confess

- () - 

So, I've done some thinking about this plan.

 And there are two possibilities  on how it will turn out. The first possibility is that Archer accepts my feelings, we start dating and therefore, my crush isn't a crush anymore. The second one, the more likely one, is that Archer rejects my crush and I'm so heartbroken that I don't have a crush on him anymore. 

The thought of the first possibility makes me look forward to the day of the carnival. The thought of the second one makes me want to cancel our plans altogether. 

"Today is the day," I tell Pillow-Peyton. "How do I look?" 

I couldn't sleep all last night so I decided to get up early to choose my outfit. After ransacking my closet - and Melody's - to find an appropriate outfit, I finally come up with a combination that might work. My outfit consists of a floral top, white shorts, white sandals, and a sunhat. 

You look like you're trying too hard, Pillow-Peyton says telepathically. Archer will know that something's up. 

"Right." I go back into my closet again.  

I replace my floral top with an off-the-shoulder black shirt, my shorts with ripped jeans and pull on my regular boots. I discard the sunhat, then step in front of the pink-haired pillow one more time. 

Too plain, she says. 

So I dash a bit of makeup on my face and examine myself in the mirror. 

I look good. But not too good that somebody will guess that I spent an entire hour figuring out my outfit. 

A honk from outside startles me.

I check the clock. It's already one o'clock. Archer's in the driveway right now. Giving my reflection one last nod, I pat Charlotte and Charlotte Jr on the head, wave goodbye to Blackie and Darkie, and run downstairs. 

You got this, girl! Pillow-Peyton calls.  

Archer's lounging in the car lazily, his arm dangling out the window. He has his usual sunglasses and button-down shirt on, but for some reason, he looks extra handsome today. My palms are already sweaty when I enter the car. 

"You look cute today, Peyton," Archer says. 

Damn it. 

"Thanks," I shut the car door. 

Melody and Raquel climb into the back seat, chatting about one of the girls on their cheerleading team. My original plan was to confess to Archer in the car but Raquel's car broke, so they're coming with us now. 

Archer hands me the GPS before backing out of the driveway. Since I'm the only one who knows the address, I type it in and wait for it to load. Archer turns on the radio. 

Meanwhile, I review my plan.

Things Peyton needs before she confesses to Archer: 

1) A witty line. There's no way I'm going with the cliche "Archer, I like you more than as a friend" or "Archer, I like like you" when I'm confessing all my heartfelt feelings.