Part One

Keith was shaken up. He could hardly stand let alone walk. His usual stoic demeanour (only melted away by a select few) hardly masking the fear that seeped into his eyes. He had nearly killed himself. Admittedly until Lotor had come in to save him sacrificing himself was all Keith could think of. It wouldn’t be out of character for a blade member to offer their life for the war. Especially if those were people Keith cared about very (very) much.

It was difficult exiting the cockpit with shaky legs and unshed tears in his eyes which Keith swore weren’t there before. The Galra ship was docked in an empty bay in the castle, one that would have been used for dignitaries ships long ago. If Keith had his paladin helmet he would have signalled to the others that he had landed in the castle safely and was making his way to the main deck; he didn’t have his helmet and was only patched into the rebel’s network. It seemed to be night time in the castle of lions anyway, so he would only be waking people up. The castles corridors were a quiet but familiar sight, something Keith felt he needed right now to calm him down.

With an uneasy step Keith found himself outside the control deck. He stood far back enough so that the doors wouldn’t open automatically, after briefly considering going to him room and lying down until the war was over Keith decided that he would have to confront someone about his actions eventually. Reluctantly he entered the control deck, there was only Shiro standing on Allura’s platform studying monitors and maps. No team, no Coran or Allura, just Shiro. He thought he should be relaxed. Shiro was practically his brother, he knew how impulsive Keith could be and self-sacrifice was common in the blade, but there was something about the look on Shiro’s face when he noticed Keith that put him off,

“Hey Shiro.” The tension in the air could practically be cut. Keith had only seen Shiro use that look on lance (mainly when he was flirting anyone on a mission.) which left Keith wondering if lance felt the same shame as Keith did now.

“Keith,” it seemed Shiro was struggling to find the right words “I- I honestly don’t know what to say…” Keith prepared to be shouted at, hands balled tightly on each side and brows draw together.

“Disappointed doesn’t even cover this…” that wasn’t as bad as Keith thought, thankfully Shiro’s patience was as unbelievable as it had always been.

“I know the blade are used to loosing members but you’re too important Keith.”
Keith had expected that for Shiro. He had seen both Ulaz and Thace sacrifice themselves for he fight against the Galra. Watched Regris willingly die in an attempt to gain useful information. They had set an example and Keith had blindly followed it,

“I know Shiro I’m sorry.” The words seemed forced. An automatic response but seeing the black paladin move and reach Keith where he stood by the door, a soft smile on his face helping ease Keith’s worries,

“It’s alright Keith, just please don’t do it again. When it comes down to it, there will be another way.” The blade member tried to believe him, but he didn’t see the truth in that statement. Working with the blade helped him see the cruelty of the war more clearly the he ever could have as part of Voltron. War is won through sacrifice…

“But what if there isn’t another way? What then?” Shiro’s robotic hand held a strong grip on Keith shoulder, tight enough for Keith to have to hold back a wince of pain.

“I don’t wat to hear it Keith!” Shiro’s face looked almost mad, he probably was just covering it up as not to scare Keith; he knew that no matter how hard Shiro wouldn’t understand. Keith could try, attempt to make him understand. Taking a sharp intake of breath Keith replied,

“Others are sacrificing there lives for this cause, hundreds of people already have! I’m no different Shiro…” the black paladin removed his hand from Keith shoulder allowing Keith to physically relax as Shiro squared his shoulders and crossed his arms over his chest, appearing taller that before.

“Killing yourself for the war is out of the question Keith.” Shiro wouldn’t listen.

“Like I said, you’re important to us, if you died and there was a chance we could save you, the whole team could never live it down.” Keith shouldn’t get these special privileges. He was another blade now, not a paladin of Voltron. Though Shiro’s words still lay heavy on Keith heart and shoulders visibly causing them to droop… did he really mean that much to everyone?
So, with no retort to Shiro’s declaration Keith retreated. (His old bed was calling him, and it may as well have been a siren calling a sailor out to sea.)

“Got it, good night Shiro.” And Keith began the slow walk back to his old room, too caught up in his thoughts to notice the figure (also in a deep thoughtful daze) walking towards him.