Grammar

GRAMMAR

Using good grammar is always going to make your story stand out. Nobody likes a story with bad grammar! Here are some examples;

1—Funer and funnest: "Funer" is not a word! The right way to say it is 'More fun'. The same goes for "Funnest," it is 'Most fun'.

2—Then and than: 'Then' is used for time order. Like if you said, "I ate an apple and then I went to sleep." That is correct. 'Than' is used when you're comparing something. Like if you said, "I am taller than you." That is correct.

3—To and too: 'To' is used to explain what you are going to do. Like if you said, "I am going to school." Or, "You are going to behave." 'Too' is used to explain there is too much of something. Like if you said, "I ate too much." Or, "That is too much water." It's also used to substitute the word 'also.' Example: "Oh, I went to that restaurant too." Or, "My family has a tradition too."
PSA: When ending a sentence with the word "to" (ex: "We would love to."), you do NOT use "too" unless it is referring to there being too much of something or in place of "also".

4—Its and it's: 'Its', without an apostrophe, is possesive in the third person. Like if you said, "Look at the dark sky.... what's its problem?" Or, "The weather has a mind of its own (same thing with your)." 'It's' with an apostrophe means "It is." Like if you said, "It's hot outside today." Or, "It's fine (same thing with you're)." If it makes sense when you say 'It Is' instead of it's, then you are correct!
PSA: "it's" should never be used in place for possession!!

5—Whether and weather: 'Whether' is used to predict, or question. Like if you said, "Whether you like it or not, it's happening." Or, "I'm right, whether you think so or not!" 'Weather' is the temperature and status outside. Like if you said, "The weather is very nice today." Or, "I hope the weather gets better."

6—Into and in to: 'Into' is used to describe where someone/something went. Like if you said, "I went into the store." Or, "He walked into his office." 'In to' is used to describe where someone/something went and what they experienced. Example; "I walked in to see my sister." Or, "He ran in to hug her."

7—Edition and addition: 'Edition' is used to describe a series of something. Example; "The comic books were special edition." Or, "But it's a special edition!" 'Addition' is a strategy used in math, where you add two or more numbers to get a larger number. Example; "This is addition, 6+6=12." Or, "The opposite of subtraction, is addition."

8—Affect and effect: 'Affect' describes what something/someone does to something/someone. Example; "Social Media has really affected people." Or, "That movie has strongly affected people." 'Effect' is what happens due to something. Like Cause and Effect. Example; "The effect of Global Warming is that our animal population is going down." It's definitely a confusing one and I have trouble with it too!

A little cheat: effect is a noun, affect is a verb (that causes an effect).

9-- There, they're, and their: 'There' describes a place. Example: "I want to go there, there is where I want to go." 'They're' means they are. Example: "They're being mean to me!" 'Their' is possessive in plural (I don't know how else to describe, if it doesn't help I'd suggest looking it up on Google!). Example: "That's their fault, not mine." Or "Their ways are their own." Mastering there, they're, & their is a little bit tricky at first, but as long as you know what they mean and you use them frequently enough, then you should be good!

If you see any grammar mistakes that I didn't mention, feel free to PM me or comment on this and I'll add it in for ya!