Twenty-Eight

Annabeth has been holding her breath for three hours.

Or that's what it felt like.

The people had been voting on her motion to abolish her engagement to Octavian since early morning. And it was closer than she had anticipated. Her advisors had been counting for what seemed like weeks, notifying her of the current status every one hundred votes. It flipped every time.

She just hoped it flipped towards her on the last deliverance.

She leaned her head against the cool walls of the palace, contemplating her decisions. And the backlash that would come from them. She hated that she was still terrified of her mother and what she would think of Annabeth's choices.

The reckoning between them was coming, whether Annabeth was ready or not.

"Your Majesty?"

Annabeth whipped her head up, pinpointing the servant that had called for her. "Yes?" she asked, dusting off her day dress. She realized too late that it was one of her mother's servants — and they did not look like they were bearing good news. It probably didn't escape their notice that she wasn't wearing her crown or shoes either — the servants were far too open and generous with the information they shared with her mother. It was like Annabeth was being spied on constantly.

"The Queen Mother would like to speak with you," the servant explained, posture straight as always, hair done up in a neat bun. Prying eyes alert and wide.

"I'm sure she would," Annabeth murmured to herself. She looked up at the servant. "Please tell my mother that I am unavailable at the time and will see to it that I meet with her when my schedule clears."

"She has your advisor clear your schedule for the rest of the day." Annabeth knew she couldn't blame the servant for this news but her saccharine voice seemed almost mocking; she would feel bad after, but at that moment, she wanted to kick her in the face.

Gritting her teeth, Annabeth glanced back at the room in which the Royal Counters were finishing up. "Let her know I will be with her in a moment."

"Of course Your Majesty," she finished, curtsying quickly before scurrying back to the hellhole in which the Queen Mother seemed to live.

Annabeth sighed as she walked back into the room that housed her future. "Any updates?"

"Still counting the latest batch," someone informed her curtly. "But, after this one, there is only one that remains. Then, we will know the results."

"How long do you estimate this will take?" Annabeth breathed.

"About an hour, I presume."

"Good," Annabeth replied, a little weak in the knees. "I will be back in due time. Thank you for your help and cooperation good sirs and ladies." With a dip of her head in acknowledgement, Annabeth retreated from the room and towards her mother. Towards the lecture she was sure was coming.

* * *

Annabeth didn't bother knocking as she entered her mother's study. As expected, her mother sat behind her desk, her chair raised so that if Annabeth sat, her mother would be talking down to her.

"Please, sit."

Annabeth snorted. "No thanks, I'll stand. Let's make this quick please, I have duties to attend to."

"I'm sure you do," Athena sneered. "Does it happen to have anything to do with the vote you called for?"

Annabeth grazed her hand along the back of the chair that she was supposed to sit in. "And which vote would you be referring to? I know I called for one in relation to education. But that was pretty normal. And here was one just recently about – "