Six

Annabeth laid on her bed, thinking about the day, exhausted. The words Nico said just an hour prior echoed in her mind. It was Luke. It was Luke. It was Luke.

Those words had sent chills down Annabeth's spine and unpleasant memories in her head.

The sweltering rays of sunlight cast the world in a yellow glow, as if a filter had moved in front of the atmosphere. It was a result of recent rain—the first rain in two weeks. The grass was still wet under Annabeth's toes. It brushed the hem of her dress too as she made her way over to the gardens to read. A book was clutched in her right hand, and with her left hand she reached up to release her hair from its bonds, letting it fall in sweaty stands over her shoulders.

People of all different statuses passed by the young princess, but she didn't pay anyone any attention. Her eyes were focused on the boy sitting on a bench in the gardens, his eyes turned to the sky, a small throwing knife poised in his left hand. As Annabeth drew closer, she noticed that he appeared to be talking to the bird that rested on a branch above him. Transfixed, Annabeth stopped, watching the beautiful boy have a one-sided conversation with the small bird. He reached a tan had up to the bird, shaking his blonde head in laughter. The bird tentatively scurried onto the boy's finger. Annabeth noticed the boy stroke the bird's wing gently. The wing was bent at an odd angle, broken. Curious, Annabeth inches closer to the older boy, her mouth forming an O shape when the boy brought the bird closer to his chest.

"Devastating, isn't it? He'll never fly again." The boy said calmly, his eyes still on the bird. Annabeth thought he must be talking to someone else, because how could he see her?

Finally, when nobody answered the boy, Annabeth stepped out from her place behind the bushes.

The boy's eyes widened. He bowed his head in respect. He obviously didn't realize the person watching him was his Princess. "Your Highness, it's an honor to be in your presence."

Annabeth blushed. "And you are?"

The boy grinned. "No one of your concern. Just a lowly merchant's son."

"Every citizen of mine is someone worth knowing. Your name, merchant's son?"

The boy smiled with all of his teeth. "Luke Castellan, my lady."

"It's wonderful to meet you," Annabeth curtsied politely, drawing closer to Luke.

"And you, my lady. Please, sit," Luke gestured to the spot beside him, his blue eyes daring Annabeth to stay. Annabeth felt her lips pull up in a smile. She sat beside him quietly. She had never been in the presence of a boy so beautiful, or any boy for that matter, by her lonesome. The thrill of the mystery of what could happen sent a jolt throughout the fifteen year old Princess.

For the rest of the evening, as the sun sank low beneath the clouds, Luke entranced the young Annabeth, weaving stories and lies before her. She didn't know of his allegiance to the rising Roma, and she didn't know how big of a lie his status was. He was, indeed, the son of a merchant, but not, was he only that. He was the greatest swordsman in all of Greece, and he was training her sworn enemy, Prince Percy of Crete. How Annabeth did not immediately recognize the swordsman, she did not know. After that night, Luke and Annabeth grew closer, much to Annabeth's father's dismay.

On a particularly warm and humid day, Annabeth and Luke walked arm-in-arm down by the river, their toes sinking into the mossy ground. Suddenly, Luke stopped, pulling Annabeth closer to him. Annabeth looked up into Luke's blue eyes, startled by his sudden movement. Having been growing closer to Luke for weeks, Annabeth felt the familiar flutter inside her at his touch. She looked up at him from under her eyelashes, suddenly shy. Luke touched her cheek gently, the gentle fingers Annabeth had become accustomed to awakening a deep hunger in her. His other hand trailed to her waist, drawing her closer to him yet. For one fleeting moment when Annabeth looked into Luke's eyes she thought she saw regret and fear, but it was soon wiped away. Giving an award worthy smile, Luke bent his head down so his lips could meet Annabeth's.

Her eyes slipped shut and red exploded in her vision. Electricity zinged up her spine and her lips tingled. Annabeth was not only kissing Luke Castellan, the merchant's boy, but she was also kissing an older guy. She felt rebellious and she liked it.

Nothing in the world, Annabeth thought, could break us apart.

But, as if the fates took her words as a challenge, the next day, Luke was gone. He officially announced his allegiance to Roma that morning by publicly beheading Charles Beckendorf of the blacksmiths. He left Athens, Crete, and Greece altogether, in a time of not only mourning, but disbelief. The best swordsman and a—supposedly—loyal Greek.

The boy that Annabeth fell for was gone. The boy that had held an injured bird with the delicacy of a feather was gone.

Or who knows? Maybe that boy never existed in the first place.

"Annabeth."

Annabeth opened her eyes, dropping her necklace, that Luke had given her after they kissed, as if it were acid. She sat up in her bed, turning to face whoever entered her room. "Percy."

Percy rushed over to Annabeth's bedside, his stressed face slipping into worry. "Are you okay? Why are you crying?"

Annabeth reached up to touch her cheeks, only realizing when Percy told her that she had been crying. She wiped away her tears, turning away from Percy, feeling weak. Percy quietly sat beside Annabeth.

She sat beside him quietly.

"Why are you crying?" Percy asked once again, looking panicked and as if he had no idea of what he was supposed to do to comfort Annabeth.

"I'm fine," Annabeth insisted, "just missing home a little," she lied.

Percy tentatively touched her shoulder. "I'm sorry that you were forced to move here against your will," his face twisted painfully, as if imagining what he would do if in Annabeth's situation. "But I'm here to help. If I can do anything to help, please let me know."

Annabeth smiled weakly. "Thanks Seaweed Brain."

"You had to add the insult," Percy said, exasperated.

Annabeth laughed a little, her laughs coming out in strange hiccups. "There is never a wrong time to insult you."

Percy laughed with Annabeth. "You're impossible."

Annabeth felt a tug at her heart. Just because Luke betrayed Annabeth, didn't mean everyone else would. Maybe, her sworn enemy, the boy sitting across from her, would be the one that was most faithful to her in the end.

Forget about Luke.