Twenty-One

The steady grip of his sword steadied Percy and calmed him. He swung his sword skillfully, slamming it into Nico's sword with ease, taking his frustration and helplessness out on the opposite sword. Nico hefted the blow and aimed a well timed kick to his knee that sent Percy tumbling. Nico's sword tip pressed against his neck and he didn't bother getting up—he just laid his head against the soft grass and let his sword drop to the ground. Nico offered him a hand but he declined.

"A little rusty today," Nico said quietly. "Is it about Thalia?"

"No. Yes. Maybe. I mean, it's a combination of Thalia, the Romans, the coronation and wedding." Percy wiped the sweat from his brow. "Oh and let us not forget that a riot in the streets killed a ten year old boy." Percy banged his head on the ground and Nico sat down beside him, grunting in pain from his wound.

Will, who insisted that for Nico to train, he had to moniter, was by his side lightning fast, almost as if he had teleported. Nico batted his hand away. "I'm fine, I'm fine." Will frowned at him but left him be, dipping his head to Percy before he unceremoniously plunked down beside Nico. "Will you please leave me be?" Nico flicked Will but the golden boy hardly seemed to notice.

"If you tear open your wound, you'll be back in the wing for at least another week. So no, I will not leave you be because I don't want to have to deal with your cranky ass for any longer than necessary," Will snapped.

Percy raised his eyebrow in surprise and stifled a laugh.

Nico didn't appear to be hurt or surprised even. "You are such a pain."

"Thanks, so are you," Will said cheekily. "Anyways, point being, I'd rather deal with you when you're slightly less moody than when you tear you wound and are grumpy, moody, in pain and a pain to be around."

"You're so lucky that I semi like you," Nico murmured, shoving his sword into the ground with more force than necessary.

"Or what?" Will poked the wound in Nico's chest and Nico winced. "You're the one with the bigger weakness here."

"You two just bicker, bicker, bicker like a married couple," Percy said laughing. The sun hid behind a cloud for a moment, relieving the three of them of its relentless rays.

Will and Nico snapped their heads towards Percy. "Couple? We're not a couple." Nico said hurriedly. Percy's brows hiked up his forehead in confusion.

"I never said you were . . . " Percy trailed off, flippping his eyes between Nico and the Doctor. "But you seem like you both have something to hide."

"Nope," Will said smoothly, standing in one faultless motion that could only mean he was very lean and sure of himself—he trained too. "Nothing to hide here." He dipped his head to Percy and before Percy had time to react, he flicked Nico on the side of the head—hard. "That," he said, "was for being so stubborn, and this," he handed Nico a tube of what appeared to be cream, "is for the pain so you don't have to be such a grouch."

"Thanks," Nico said begrudgingly, then added, "don't forget your insufferableness over there. Oh, and your idiocy."

"Don't worry," Will called over his shoulder as he walked out, "I think you're taking great care of them."

Nico inhaled deeply as if to suppress a scream of frustration. Percy grinned; he hadn't seen someone get under Nico's skin since he first met Nico. It was good—it meant he was letting someone in, even if it was just to fire back insults. He was building a relationship. And whether it turned to more remained to be seen. 

* * *

Percy rifled through the reports his father had given him that morning, each one adding a weight to his shoulders.