Ch. 33 Back into the Abyss

Start from the beginning

Darkness closes in on all sides.

~~

Sean's POV

~~~

If you had told me Owen had the lawyers in a car outside of the Bureau of Investigation's office at the exact moment Kayli Winchester shook his hand, I wouldn't have been surprised.

He was certainly on the phone almost immediately. So was Kota, Axel and, of all people, North. And they've all stayed on the phone.

Marc is patching up Brandon and Silas is patching up Nathan, while Savannah, the jet pilot, is helping me control Raven's condition. Corey is standing close by, staring us down while we work and Gabriel and Luke disappeared to who-knows-where.

As I'm sewing up Raven, on the kitchen table of course because the children weren't sure where else to do something like this and they assured us that Mrs. Lockheart would not be happy if we did it on the dining room table, I listen as much as I can to the conversation Owen is having with his lawyers.

It's mostly lawyer-speak, but my ears nearly grow bigger than my head each time he inquires about 'Ms. Lavele'.

The problem is it doesn't sound like any good news has been forthcoming.

"How many are they allowing into the room? We have a full team, and I know they have restrictions on-" Owen says into the phone. "I want as many of you in there as possible."

The person on the other end speaks imperceptibly and Owen's face hardens after a long few moments. I stop sewing up Raven, terrified at that look on Owen's face. Owen is almost always expressionless. This can't be good.

"You find a way into that room." Owen hisses into the phone. "Or so help me-"

"Owen," I admonish him, reminding him to keep his cool. He glares at me, cold enough that I can almost feel the icicles growing from my nose.

I go back to stabbing my needle into Raven's skin. 'Just do your Doctor thing, Sean. He won't hurt you if you just do your Doctor thing.' A sweet, teasing voice whispers into my ear. I smirk but don't acknowledge my hallucination.

"You get in that room or you are fired." Owen jabs at the phone and sets it down. His hands are shaking.

"They're saying she already has legal aid present with her. They won't let us in." Owen announces to the suddenly quiet room.

"Should we go down there?" Nathan asks, not for the first time. I don't know why he's suddenly interested in Sang, but it gives me hope. Even the thought of her brings us closer. 

"Not yet." Owen replies back. "We still have children here to watch over, and we're waiting out the police still on the property. We'll leave when Mrs. Lockheart and Mrs. Lorraine come back."

I finish the stitches for Raven and take my little surgical candy dish to the sink to clean up my mess. The cauterization of the wound did fine in keeping him from bleeding out, but it will heal better with the stitches in. 

Corey takes my spot next to Raven to hold his hand. My heart goes out to him. Raven still hasn't woken up. His vitals seem fine, though he lost a lot of blood. The guy's pretty big though, so I guess he has plenty to spare. He's just not waking up.

"I don't want to wait." Silas tells us in a low voice. I feel like his voice has only gotten quieter since seeing Sang. His face looks perceptually...quiet. Like his mind has retreated into a place of acceptance and placid composure. He looks like he's in a constant state of biding his time. I'm not sure I want to see what he's saving all his emotional baggage for.