Chapter 5

It's freezing, Riley thought as she gazed up at New York General Hospital. It was the start of Summer, yet the nights were like a New York autumn. It didn't help that she was only wearing sweatpants, a thin t-shirt and her black trench coat, which she wrapped around herself. The wind whipped around her cold legs as she stood by her Land Rover, looking around for Bishop. He appeared within seconds, his silhouette in the entrance to the hospital. She plodded over to him, and realised that, of course, he was ready in his suit and light pink shirt. If Fallow sees her looking like this, she's dead meat.

"The vic's still in surgery," He informed her as they walked into the reception.

"When was she found?"

"Half an hour ago. She has the same cut on her throat, but he's stabbed her in the stomach with the scalpel this time as well,"

"Why?" Riley wondered, as Bishop lead her into the elevator.

"I think it was a quick effort to finish her off. The guy who found her said he saw the perp running away."

"You sure it's not a copycat?"

"Positive."

"How?"

"He took the scalpel he used to stab her with, with him, but he left a different one with her."

"With Kelly's blood on it."

"It's going in for a DNA test, but it's a no-brainer."

They went silent for a moment, and the elevator doors rolled open.

"She's in surgery 5." He pointed to the door on the left, and they sat down in a row of chairs opposite it.

"She gonna live?"

He didn't answer.

Riley placed her face in her palms and leaned forward, closing her eyes. Much to her annoyance, was finally beginning to feel tired.

She looked up to see a woman rush out of surgery 5, wearing a white coat, mask and gloves, all with blood on them. She had clearly been operating on Gianna.

"Doctor Caroline Harper," She greeted them with a slight English accent, pulling off the red gloves. She was clearly originally from some where in South Asia, with straight dark hair that was dyed with lighter brown streaks, dark skin and large eyes. She looked tired, the buzz of the surgery so far wearing her out.

"Detectives Brooke Riley and John Bishop. You've been working on Gianna?" Riley asked, shaking her hand.

"Yes, there's another surgeon operating on her now. We can talk in my office, I'll make some coffee," She glanced at Riley's outfit, "It looks like you could do with some."

Riley decided she liked this woman.
---

"It's quite the tricky situation," Dr. Harper set a cup of coffee in front of Riley, who gulped it down greedily. They had left Bishop outside the operating theatre, and now it was just the two women alone in the office.

"How many stab wounds was it?"

"3. Luckily none of them are too deep, but still..." She trailed off, stopping herself.

"Do you reckon she'll live?"

"Right now, it's still 50/50. Luckily the guy found her only a few minutes after the first wound was inflicted." She took sip of her drink. "I suppose you lot will want the clothes and items Gianna had on her when she was found,"

"Yes, please."

"I'll get them to you in the morning."

Brooke gazed around Doctor Harper's office. It was cosy, with oriental tapestries covering the green walls, and the window behind her mahogany desk was covered with dark red curtains. Her bookcase was filled with novels, how-to's and various medical journals and she had had flowers on a cabinet in the corner. It screamed happy! and not-as-stressful-as-being-a-detective! and Brooke felt momentarily jealous.

"Take her to a private ward and put her on an IV," Came a voice from outside, and Riley looked through the doorway to see a large man with another smaller at his side, giving orders to various nurses, a gurney between them. He turned to see her watching them, and walked in.

"You must be Detective Riley, right? I'm Doctor Kosby, and this is the student anaesthetist, Richard Wells," They both took in turns to shake each others hands.

Doctor Kosby was a tall, well built man, with a small beard like Bishops, and unruly brown hair. Richard Wells, however looked pale and skinny, with light hair, high cheekbones and pale grey eyes. a clipboard hugged to his chest. He hugged his clipboard to his chest and gave her a blank look.

"Is that Gianna out of surgery?" She asked.

"Yes - she's still critical and we may need to take her into surgery again later, but we've done all we can currently,"

"Thanks for everything you doing. Let me know if her condition stabilises," They both nodded and walked off. She turned around to see Caroline finishing her mug of coffee.

"I'll stay with Gianna for the remainder of the night."

"I'll get a uniform to stay outside her ward. There's a chance this guy may come back to finish the job," Riley handed her, her card. "Call me if you need anything."

Caroline slid it into her pocket, and nodding goodbye, Riley left to re-join Bishop.

~Vote, comment and follow!~