20. A Leap Of Faith

"I'm pregnant Elvis..."

E stood there and looked down at my stomach and then back up at me.

"Now?"

"It's not like I had it planned," I whispered, my eyes became slightly blurry with tears I so wanted to let fall.

"Are you sure it's mine?" he smirked as he walked, stumbled, towards the liqour cabinet. I bit my lower lip and closed my eyes which made those tears fall....I licked my dry lips before leaving the room.

"Where the hell ya goin' now?" Elvis roared from the jungle room. 

"I need to lay down...." I replied, but calmly as I walked up the stairs and towards my old room where I had stayed the past few nights. 

"Ya lazy ass! All ya do is lay around!"

I bit my lip harder and continued my way up the stairs before I needed to sit because I couldn't see anymore through the tears. I was at the top of the stairs my head in my hands. 

I love Elvis so, so, so much.....and I know his mama was his world, but to see him like this now, it'd kill her a second time. I'm not sure if he'll be able to come back this time around. I saw Vern standing at the bottom the the stairs his hands resting on his hips. 

"Grace, sweetheart. I think it's best you spent time at home for a little while. I'm going to make sure I straighten this boy out once and for all...you can't stress yourself out anymore. I know you were there for Gladys till the end, but now you need to make sure you and the baby are healthy and stay healthy. Elvis might not say it, I know he's happy, but if there is another loss in this family he won't make it."

I wiped my tears and nodded, "Okay."

I stood up using the railing for help and walked into my old room, I knelt on the floor and pulled my suitcase out from under the bed. I lifted it up and rested it on top of my bed, I went to my draws and started to pull out some clothes. I put them neatly in my suitcase. 

It always seems that I'm packing my bag in the end, I decided not to do it the last time. I did because I could, but this time I can't because it's not just myself I'm protecting.  I have a child to think about now too. 

I bit my lower lip as it started trembling as a sudden thought came to me, I rubbed my still flat stomach and whispered softly a promise, "I won't let your daddy treat you like mine did."

I picked up my suitcase and walked out of the room without a second glance knowing I could always come back or send someone to get something I forgot. I quickly walked down the stairs where Vern was waiting for me. He took my suitcase from me, "It's best not to say anything to him-"

"I said you weren't leaving," his southern drawl cut through.

"I have to Elvis....if there is any chance of having this baby, I will gladly take a smal leave from here till you get your act together."

"I said you aren't leaving I can't loose you too not afer-"

"Mama? Go ahead Elvis! Say it. Say it over and over again! Say how you lost her! Like we were never there and you were the only one! I was the one who helped her up to the morning she passed! You wouldn't step foot in her room! She was like a mother to me too! I can't believe you! Your father lost her too! He's not driving himself to the grave by over drinking and taking those damn pills! I-I-" I became short of breath and my head was spinning as I gripped onto Vern who was right next to me.

"Grace! Good God! E call the doctor!" 

"I just need to sit," I whispered softly as Vern helped me sit on the bottom step of the stairs and I tried to fight the black dots in my vision. I heard E in the distance talking to the doctor over the phone.