WHY I QUIT SOCIAL MEDIA?

It wasn't easy. Every morning I would get up with an urge to check if I'd got any notification on twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. Every like or comment would cause a surge of the reward chemical dopamine, signalling a success. It would make me feel like I achieve something in life.

It actually gives a false sense of reality. Someone posting a picture with their pets or anyone in a way we find appealing is just a strategy to get likes and followers. Our lives aren't like we show on social media. We tend to post out best Moments on social media and carefully craft our profiles to welcome friends to our pages.

Social media was designed to be addictive. When we view something attractive, dopamine is released in the same pathway that is stimulated when we eat something delicious, have sex or achieve something in life. We can feel the rush anytime we want now without any effort. This is alarming.

Yes, social media would provide the perfect distraction from awful situations to me. But it took a toll on my mental health and got me in the middle of nowhere. It was pretty hard to overcome the addiction but I did what I could to get over it and I was successful.

I learned "fear of missing out" isn't real. If there was something I missed out on, I didn't care. I'm not seeing people's posts, I'm not watching Snapchat video and I'm not feeling I missed out on anything. One good thing about social media is that you get to know any news or tragedies happening across globe in a matter of seconds but what use of knowing something immediately when you yourself feel helpless. Someone killed somewhere in Syria just make you feel empathetic or sympathetic and then sit back, relax and turn into a keyboard warrior to unleash your anger. Did it ever help? Did it ever improve anything?  Did it ever start a revolution? No.

My well-being improved  tenfold Since i social media. It was the best decision I'd ever made and my mind is clear of all the clutter. I'm no longer distracted and I get a lot of time to spend in achieving my goals. I'm relatively happy now and things could not be this better. Real life interactions are more lively now. I'm not like having my gadget in my hand while around mates. I spend quality time with anyone who comes across me and my relationship with my family is improving.

If you are the one being driven by the social media addiction, remember that trying to avoid it completely would not be easy. You are feeding the beast and it will end up killing you one day. Stop feeding it and make it starve. You will have the best life without social media, believe me. Cheers xoxo

dead__love BJames01 amaya630 YourDreamGirl_Z kookmininyatagi chchclllly