Chapter 44

"Aunt Dessy, Dessy, get up. Paul you too. It's Christmas," Claire squealed, running into my room and jumping onto my bed.

"Shh Claire we're sleeping. You're just gonna have to wait," Paul said. I smiled slightly but didn't open my eyes to look at my niece.

"Dessy," she whined.

"Shh," I said, reaching out and wrapping my arms around her. I pulled her down so she was laying beside me. "We're sleeping still Claire."

"Emmy. Sammy," she yelled. I released her and she jumped up and ran to get Sam.

"Paul, Destiny, get your asses out of bed," Sam yelled at us.

"Don't swear in front of Claire," Emily said, raising her voice slightly.

"Do we seriously have to get up?" Paul whispered, kissing my forehead.

"Only if we want to live to get married," I said.

"I hate you Destiny," he said. I glared at him as I sat up.

"Well then," I said. I grabbed my crutches and headed downstairs, taking a seat on the couch.

"Come on babe. I didn't mean it," Paul said squatting in front of me and grabbing my hands.

"I know, idiot," I said. I leaned forward and kissed him gently.

"Ewww," Claire said, hitting Paul's shoulder. "No kissing. Boys have cooties."

"I knew there was a reason I love you kid," I said.

"I really wanna be mad at the two of you, but I can't cause I already made you mad," Paul said, sitting down beside me.

"I'm not mad at you," I said.

"Good, because we're having dinner at my place tonight," he said.

"Your place?" I asked. "On Christmas?"

"Yeah, well, Dad wants me home and Sam said I can only go if you go with me," Paul said.

"Why? So there's someone there to calm you down when you two start fighting?" I asked.

"Exactly," he said, kissing my cheek. I smiled at him, nuzzling into him slightly.

I glanced at the clock to see that it was almost 5:30 am. I knew I probably wouldn't be getting anymore sleep today, but it was okay.

"Let's get this started," Alex cheered, walking in and handing me a mug. I took the mug in both hands and curled into Paul's side.

"Thank you Alex," I said softly.

"Of course Destiny. I mean, you are my favorite," he said, sitting down beside me.

"Why are you so happy this morning?" I asked as Claire began tearing into her presents.

"Cause it's Christmas," he said, smiling fondly.

Becca was sitting on the loveseat; Sam was in the recliner with Emily in his lap; and Paul, Alex, and I shared the couch. Melody was gone. She hadn't even called since she dropped Claire off and we were all worried. Sam had the guys out trying to find her when they could, but, with the Volturri's attack imminent and patrols still needed, there wasn't much free time.

"Emmy, where's Momma?" Claire asked, setting her present down and going over to the chair. Emily picked her up, pulling her into the chair.

"I don't know Claire," she said.

"I miss her," Claire said.

What kind of mother doesn't bother to show up to Christmas? I seriously hope she's okay.

"I'm sure she'll be back soon," Emily said. "For now, why don't you go open your presents?"

"Okay Emmy," she said. Claire went back to opening her presents while Emily and Sam talked quietly.

"Baby," Paul whispered in my ear.

"Hmm," I answered.

"We need to talk," he said.

I nodded, and laid my head on his shoulder, hoping that the day would get better. A feeling of dread washed over me as someone knocked on the door.