6x03 - The Third Man

Hotel Room – Day

Dean is seated at a table, looking through papers. Sam is at the other end, working on his laptop. "Sweet. Blood, boils, locusts"

"Three of your more popular Egyptian plagues" Sam tells him.

Dean picks up a jar containing the locusts "Yeah, but these guys...ate their way out of a cop's melon. I don't quite remember that in the King James"

"Meanwhile, a kid named Christopher Birch was shot in the head last month after a vehicle pursuit. Hatch, Gray and Colfax were the three officers involved, and they all filed the exact same police report"

"Suspect exited vehicle brandishing a firearm. We were forced to fire" Dean reads from a report. "Just a kid with no face and a planted gun. Bunch of dicks. So they pop the kid, plant the piece"

"Maybe Colfax is right. You know, maybe heaven has a hate-on for bad cops" Sam guesses.

"So we're listening to the guy with the bug in his custard? That's – that's the, uh, the theory you want to go with?" Dean asks.

"Dean, angels got to have something to do, right, now that we're post-apocalypse?"

Dean opens a beer "We should call Cas"

"You're kidding, right?" Sam scoffs. "Dean, I tried. It was the first and second and third thing I did, son of a bitch won't answer the phone"

Dean sits on a bed "Well, let's give it a shot. Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray to Castiel to get her feathery ass down here"

"You're an idiot"

"Stay positive" Dean tells him.

"Oh, I am positive"

"Come on, Cas! Don't be a dick. We got ourselves a... plague-like situation down here, and...do you...do you copy?" Dean begs to Castiel again.

"Like I said..." Sam clears his throat "Son of a bitch doesn't answer—" There is a sound of wings behind Sam "she's right behind me, isn't she?" Sam turns around and sure enough there she is.

"Hello" Castiel greets them.

"Hello?" Sam asks.

"Y-yes" She stutters.

"Hello" Sam imitates her "Hello?" before saying it again in a normal voice.

"Uh, that is still the term?" Castiel asks confused.

"I spent all that time trying to get through to you. Dean calls once, and now it's" He imitates Castiel's voice again "Hello?!"

"Yes"

"So, what, you – you like him better or something?" Sam scoffs.

"Dean and I do share a more profound bond" She then turns to Dean "I wasn't gonna mention it"

"Cas, I think what he's trying to say is that...he went to hell for us. I mean, he really took one for the team. You remember that? And then he comes back without a clue, and you can't take five friggin minutes to give him some answers?" Dean tells her.

"If I had any answers, I might have responded. But I don't know, Sam. We have no idea who brought you back from the cage...or why" Castiel tells them strongly.

"So...it wasn't God?" Sam asks.

"No one's even seen God. The whole thing remains mysterious" Castiel admits.

"What the hell does that mean?"

"what part of 'I don't know' escapes your understanding?" Castiel asks.