IMAGINE TEN - It's A Harsh Glade pt. 1

Y/n sat quietly by herself while she ate her dinner. No one wanted to sit by her. Either they were scared of her, or just didn't like her because it was odd for a girl to be in the Glade. Some boys sought her as dangerous, venomous, or a weapon of whoever put them in the Maze.

She brought a spoonful of Frypan's stew to her lips as she stared around. Like always, a majority of the boys were glaring at her as they shared small whispers possibly about her. She lowered her spoon slowly and dropped it into her bowl, keeping her head low. Her long, y/h/c hair hide her face from the burning stares. If looks could kill, she'd be dead. Every day she felt this kind of attention from the boys. Even Alby didn't sit by her or talk to her. The only time is addressed towards her was when he asked if the boys caused her any trouble. Minho didn't take the time to speak to y/n ever for he was too busy figuring out the Maze. The little boy, Chuck, avoided her time to time. Chuck did talk to her whenever they were working together as Sloppers. Y/n ended up being a Slopper the instant she adjusted to the Glade. She felt that just because she was a girl, she was placed as a Slopper. Y/n didn't even get an option. The boys just didn't understand girls. The only boy that acknowledged her was Newt.

Y/n watched as the blonde boy limped towards her. She was leaned up against a log away from the boys since they didn't let her sit over by them. Newt sat down next to y/n. She didn't waste her breath to say the first word. A small moment of silence breezed past before Newt cleared his throat.

"How was your day?" Newt asked.

"If cleaning sickening toilets and nasty showers define a lovely day...then my day was amazing." Y/n sarcastically remarked. Newt slightly chuckled.

"I try to talk Alby into changing your job, but it is 'unfair to the other boys'." Newt sighed, "He is just a bloody twat sometimes." Y/n nodded. She took another spoon of her food.

"How was your day." Y/n attempted to say while chewing her food, but she ended up dripping liquid down her chin. Newt smirked with a snicker as he pulled his long sleeve shirt over his thumb and swiped the spill off of y/n's chin. He slowly moved his thumb across her chin as y/n stared into Newt's beautiful brown eyes. After Newt completed the task, he paused for a moment before awkwardly laughing. Y/n laughed along with him.

"Good," Newt answered shortly. Y/n swallowed her food as another silent moment eases by. Neither, y/n or Newt could think of something to say. A loud whisper caught y/n's attention.

"Just look at her." A boy spoke to his friend as they both ate their dinner together, "It looks like she doesn't even wash her hair."

"Her hygiene is probably grosser than she shucking looks." Y/n turned her head away from the chatting boys as she grabbed strands of her hair and smelt it. It smelled perfectly fine. She had just washed her hair last night.

"Y/n is probably going to get bugs from laying over there in the grass." Another boy said.

"Not if she already has them. Maybe she doesn't take showers." The boy said back. Y/n furrowed her eyebrows sadly as she looked at her dirty, grimy hands. She really did need a shower.

"Have you noticed how bad y/n smells. Like her clothes always reek."

Y/n grabbed the collar of her pale blue shirt and slowly raised it to her nose. Her clothes smelled freshly washed. She curled her knees up to her chest as she hid behind her hair again, avoiding any other comment. Y/n felt Newt put his hand on her shoulder.

"Don't listen to them. They're just a bunch of slintheads." Newt softly reassured while slowly gliding his hand down her back. He rested his palm on the small of her back as y/n looked sadly at the grass underneath her.

"It is true?" Y/n whispered to Newt, not being able to speak louder for then her voice would crack. Newt moved around, adjusting to the point where he sat directly in front of her.

"It what true?" Newt replied, not knowing what she meant. Y/n set her bowl of stew aside. She didn't care if spilled it or not.

Sighing, y/n said, "What they say about me?" Newt tensed up, clenching his jaw. He quickly grabbed one of y/n's hands into his.

"No, no." Newt answered, "The boys here, they don't know a bloody thing about you. They have never given in a chance for you and I did. And I'll be the first to tell you, it was buggin' a good idea to get to know you. You are an amazing person inside and out. I don't know whenever the boys will get over it, but they will hopefully come around. They are the ones acting like shucking girls. You happen to the prettiest out of all those girls."

Y/n couldn't help but smile. Her face was hidden from Newt's still, but he grabbed her chin and lifted it high.

"Now you aren't going to let these shuck-faces get in your way now are you?" Newt confidently remarked with his fingers to on her chin.

"I guess not." Y/n admitted with a long, dragging sigh.

"That wasn't really bloody convincing," Newt lowered his voice. Y/n shrugged. Newt couldn't handle seeing her sad face anymore. He swiftly pulled her into a big embrace. Y/n hesitated before returning the hug to Newt. "Say y/n. Would you like to come with me to go sit by Minho?"

Y/n opened her eyes and looked straight ahead. Minho sat a few yards away from Newt and y/n with a few other Runners by his side. Y/n shook her head. "No thanks. I'm done eating anyway. I'm gonna take a shower and head straight to bed."

Newt nodded as pulled back slowly, looking y/n in the eye. "You can't let them get to you. Okay? A beautiful girl like you deserves to smile all the time." Y/n's cheeks burnt red right after he called her beautiful. She slightly chucked as she tucked a strand of her behind her ear.

"Okay." She said loud enough to sound confident. Newt gave her the biggest smile anyone can ever give before standing up and walking away to sit by Minho.