IMAGINE THREE - Great Escape pt. 3

"Y'know - That's not what an apology sounds like."

Newt turned abruptly to see Alby standing in the doorway of the Homestead, with his arms crossed. Newt could feel his heart stop right there.

"Alby," Newt whispered.

"Shuck it, Newt. I am not mad." Alby softly reassured.

"Seriously?" Newt asked, a bit taken aback. He was most definitely sure that Alby would not bend his rules for a girl. But Newt did not mind Alby decision not to be mad. Newt cared for y/n, no matter the dumb stuff she does.

"She is the only girl in the Glade. What kind of leaders would we be to banish her or lock her up?" Alby answered. Newt agreed.

"Yeah."

"She is different. We treat her different." Alby said. Newt pursed his lips into a thin line. "But I did hear you screaming at her. And I happened to hear a smack."

Newt's cheeks tinted red. "I didn't hit her if that is what you are thinking. I would never do such a thing." Newt claimed. Alby squinted his eyes at him as if he didn't believe him, but he did anyhow.

"Listen Newt, no matter how dumb she can be at sometimes, you never talk to y/n like that. The boys here, they can handle harsh words and lectures from you," Alby took a step forward, inching closer to Newt, "But when it comes to y/n, you never scream at her like she is Gally. Never."

Newt wondered where all the care from Alby came. He usually never protected y/n as much as Newt does. "Okay." was all he managed to speak.

"Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes." Newt whispered.

"Do I make myself clear!" Alby screamed in Newt's face, adding enthusiasm to every word. Alby never screamed at Newt, ever. But if it was about y/n, they both would get up into each others faces.

"Yes Alby!" Newt yelled back, his voice cracking.

"If you are going to be the guy that takes y/n looks up too, you better treat her different than the rest of the guys." Alby said calmly and then he walked away from Newt.

-

Y/n ran away from the Homestead with tears in her eyes. She couldn't decide whether to be mad at Newt or just sad that he yelled at her. Y/n ran to Frypan's kitchen. Other than Newt, Fry was the guy to cheer y/n up any day. She burst into his kitchen with a sad look.

"Y/n? What's wrong?" Frypan asked as he prepared lunch for the Gladers. Y/n stifled in a sob.

"Just need someone to talk to, that is all." Y/n said, holding back her sadness and anger. She laid down on the ground, her back against the wall, watching Frypan cook.

"Fry?"

"Yes y/n."

"Is Newt always a slinthead to everyone?" Y/n asked with a small smile. Without looking at y/n, Frypan chuckled and continued to cook.

"Not always. Only when some shuckface shuck comes strolling in making him angry. He can get ticked off sometimes." Frypan answered. "Why you ask?"

"I don't know." Y/n honestly answered.

"Boy troubles." Fry scoffed jokingly. Y/n even laughed underneath her breath. "Speaking of Newt, I think you broke him." Frypan blurted out as he looked up at the figure coming out of the Homestead. Y/n perked her head up to see Newt with his head hung low, his feet dragging along the ground, and his shoulders slumped. She didn't want to face him at the moment. Y/n hid in the corner of Fry's kitchen as Newt strolled over to Frypan.

"Hey Fry?"

"Yes Newt?"

"Am I always a bloody slinthead?" Newt asked as if he heard Frypan and y/n's conversation before. Frypan maintained to hold in his laugh.

"Not always." Frypan answered yet again. "Why you ask?"

Newt sighed a heavy sigh. "I don't know." Newt answered with the same thing y/n said.

"Girl troubles." Fry blurted out, gasping for air as he laughed hard. Newt looked at him questionably.

"What is so buggin' funny?"

"Speaking of girls, I think you broke this one." Frypan pointed back at y/n and died of laughter. The deja vu Frypan had experienced had him laughing on the floor. "I said the same thing to y/n to-"

"Y/n? Can we please talk?" Newt asked, cutting off Frypan's useless rambling.

"Not really." Y/n mumbled. Frypan quit his laughing and watched that awkward exchange.

"Um, guys. Lunch break is about to happen and I don't think the boys want to hear a relationship fight while they eat." Frypan told y/n and Newt, signaling for the two to leave. Y/n sat herself up and walked past Newt, bumping his shoulder harshly. Newt ran after her. She was going to break out into a run, but she has had enough running for the day.

"I'm sorry y/n. I didn't mean to nag at you that bad." Newt reached out for y/n's arm but she turned around and slapped him across the face. Newt froze, his anger boiled. Y/n instantly felt bad for what she did. But she couldn't show remorse.

Newt growled. He grabbed y/n's arm and dragged her away like he did in the Maze. At that moment, he didn't care what Alby did to him after grabbing her. He could care less. Newt's anger would take the best of him and he couldn't help it. Y/n slapped at Newt's hand, trying to get released. She wanted to cry for help, but she was afraid of what Newt would do to her.

Newt pushed y/n into their room. Y/n ran into the corner, trying to push herself back hoping to disappear. Newt closed the door silently.

"I should have climbed those walls and jumped off." Y/n snarled. Newt froze in his spot.

"Alby is going to have my head after this, but you are by far the stupidest person in this whole enter Glade!" Newt screamed. Y/n felt her heart skip a beat. She felt a stinging pain in the pit of her stomach.

"Well," she sobbed, "If I am so stupid, why did you stop me?"

"Shuck y/n! It is because I bloody love you." Newt let a tear escape from his eye, "And I care about you. I wouldn't be able to live another day in the Glade without you." At this point, Newt had tears raining down his cheeks. He threw himself onto the bed and hid his face from y/n. Y/n watched him cry for a few seconds before slowly sitting next to him. Newt lifted his head to look at her. His eyes were droopy from crying and his face was wet from tears. "I'm sorry for being so harsh on you. I just lost it. The thought of you trying to leave me just makes me want to cry myself to sleep every night." Newt wiped away the remaining drops of water on his face. Without a word, y/n pulled Newt into a big hug. She felt Newt's hands run up and down her back.

"I am sorry Newt. I'll never try that again." Y/n reassured Newt. Her heart slightly throbbed for Newt. She wanted to scold her own self from pulling the stunt she did.

"You promise?" Newt looked y/n in the eyes with his tear stained ones. Y/n let a tear or two escape from her own eyes.

"I promise"

-

you're welcome armani ;)