A Study in Purple

His nose was straight, while his eyes were the most rounded ovals. In the light, the irises of the man glimmered a fierce violet, and his light blonde hair over his dark brown bottom layer appeared to be shock white over black blacker than any void. The man’s thin body was average in height, but his shadow must have been eight feet tall. As he paced the room, he heard the patter of light footsteps running up the stairs.
    The door creaked in elderly pain as it was abruptly opened.
    “Palmer.” Stammered the tan man, breathless from running.
    Cecil Palmer raised an eyebrow and stood in the middle of the room, the light behind him casting his wicked shadow on the profound and flustered other.
    “Is it true? Did you get a new case?”
    Cecil smiled devilishly. “Why, of course, my dear Carlos.” He started to anxiously pace the room again. “My dear, perfect Carlos...”
    Carlos sighed and ran his fingers through his wavy dark hair. “And why did you call me? You know I started my practice back up.”
    Cecil closed his eyes and nodded. “Yes, Doctor. Hm...I thought that you enjoyed being a scientist more?”
    Carlos strode over to the always-mysterious yet somehow childish Cecil. “In the military, I learned that science can wait if others are hurt or in danger.”
    “And Night Vale is in danger?”
    “Yes and no. It’s complicated. Of course, I’m a scientist at heart and will be continuing that role in my life, but I also plan on serving the community with my other skills.”
    Cecil smiled. “Ahh, Carlos. We share the same dedication to this wonderful place. Haha,” he chuckled cheerfully, “it’s hard to believe it’s only been a short while ago since you came to this town. And yet you love it so!”
    Carlos threw his white lab/doctor’s coat to the floor and let his red and black flannel sleeves wrap around Cecil’s waist. With his full lips to Cecil’s ear, he whispered in a lush voice, “And I love you so.”
    Cecil’s pale face blushed a reddish violet that only Carlos was entitled to see. “Doctor!”
    Carlos smiled and backed away. “Yes?” He asked, showing his white teeth.
    Cecil went back to pacing. “Don’t distract me while I’m thinking, please.”
    The scientist nodded and sat himself down in a nearby armchair.
    The radio host and famous detective paced in a way that would put any dancer to shame. Each footstep was precise and delicate so as to not mark the floorboards or scuff the carpet. Each footstep, just as well, was unthought of in his mind’s race to piece invisible puzzle pieces together.
    “You are quite an interesting spectacle, my dear fellow.”
    “Dear, dear, dear…” He repeated until his voice trailed away into unintelligible mumbles. Carlos wasn’t sure whether Detective Palmer was mocking their frequent use of the word, or thinking about him as a dear. Cecil did have a habit of fawning over him.
    Just as Carlos relaxed into the chair with these thoughts, Cecil jumped and waved his arms into the air. “I’ve got it!”
    “Well, it’s not the first time you’ve solved something so quickly...Dear.”
    Cecil ran and sat in Carlos’s lap like he always did, swinging a leg as it crossed over his other one. “Darling, no. This case is far more complex. But! I’ve figured out where to start.”
    Carlos petted Cecil’s thigh. “What good news!”
    “Indeed.”
    Carlos picked Cecil up bridal style and spun him around once, dropping him softly on his feet. “And where do we start?”
    Cecil’s eyes lit up. “We? We. I knew you’d want to come along. Are you sure you’re patients will be okay with an absentee doctor?”
    “I’m sure I can find time. I got done with work about an hour ago. I had yesterday off though, so I can’t take any sick days.”
    “Oh?”
    “Yesterday I was well but so tired that I slept for the entirety of the day. Being both a doctor and a scientist really weighs on a man.”
    “I understand. Well, I suppose this case won’t take too long. We can start tonight.”
    Carlos, who boarded and recently moved in the same room with Cecil, went to the closet and produced two overcoats.
    Cecil’s blood boiled at the thought of a fresh case. Such things always made him excited. “Ah! Here we go again.” He let Carlos open the door for him and pranced outside.
    The scientist chuckled as he followed Cecil down the stairs, who was practically taking them four at a time. There were seventeen steps, exactly. Cecil once had lectured Carlos on the importance of seeing and observing. When Cecil asked Carlos how many steps there were last month, Carlos did not know, despite the fact that he had used them hundreds of times. And that was the point! He saw, but did not observe. Carlos sighed, keeping that in his mind in order to hopefully keep up with the agile mind of his lover.