12 | Please Be Mine

Comenzar desde el principio

     I narrowed my eyes at him and let out a sigh as I rested my head against the window. The determination in his voice told me he was serious, but then again, he could be a really great liar.

       “Do you want to get something to eat?” he asked me.

       I gritted my teeth as I sat up straighter. “We can’t really get something to eat if we’re stuck on this abandoned road.”

       Jack lips tugged upwards into a smile as he started up the car again. “I think I know a way out,” he told me.

      It was then I realized Jack brought us here on purpose. I wanted to be mad at him but I just couldn’t. This feeling arising inside of me was going to be my downfall.

✝     ✝     ✝     ✝

      Minutes later, we pulled up to a book store and Jack’s face lit up like a Christmas tree. A myriad of emotions danced on his face, but I couldn’t quite decipher it.

      “I thought we were getting something to eat,” I blurted out.

      “There’s a coffee shop in there,” he responded as he turned the car off. In seconds, he jumped out of the truck and slammed the door, making his way to the entrance.

        I followed behind reluctantly, flashing him a small smile as he held the door open for me.

       The shop was large and it smelled like freshly-brewed coffee. The hardwood floors looked polished and there were huge glass windows that were designed to be looked out of. A marble bar sat in the corner of the shop and a few people were situated around it. Beyond the eatery portion of the shop, were wooden shelves. Each shelf must have held a hundred books.

    I glanced over to Jack. I thought he meant McDonalds’s, not something like this. But I didn’t complain because there was something about the shop that made me feel welcomed.

      Jack made his way to the counter with me trailing behind, and greeted the cashier. “Hey Ruthie!”

     An older woman with olive skin and large, fiery, red hair appeared from behind the corner, chewing harshly on a piece of gum. “Well hello there, Jackson. I haven’t seen you in a long time. Where have you been, fella?” Ruthie rested her elbows against the counter and stared at Jack with her bright marble eyes.

     “I know, I know. I’ve been busy with the motor shop and everything. Dad’s doing good. He asks about you sometimes. But, how are you?” A grin spread across his face and he looked genuinely happy to be talking to his woman.

       “I've been good. Just the same old, same old.” There was a slight twang in her voice and I could tell she was from somewhere southern. Her gaze slowly shifted from Jack’s to mine. “And who is this lovely lady? Is she your girl?”

       I felt the blood rush to my cheeks at the accusation.

      Jack shook his head. “No, she’s just a really good friend of mine. Her name is Lexus.”

       “Like the car?” Ruthie questioned.

      “Yeah,” I chimed in. “My dad named me after his first car. He had to sell it in order to take care of me. He always jokes that he traded in a Lexus for another one.”

      Ruthie smiled. “How cute.” She returned her attention to Jack. “Are you going to order something, or are you just here to say hi?”

       “Yes, I would like two red velvet cupcakes and two lemonades.”

       She nodded and disappeared behind the counter.