Chapter 30 - Numb

Start from the beginning

I sighed heavily, growing rather tired of Trey's methods of explanation and teaching. He constantly went back and forth from being encouraging, to really being a downer and explaining all of the negatives of the situation. Healing Daphne would be a lot harder than healing my parents – I got it.

Sensing my agitation, Trey continued, "You'll be going against the Moon Goddess, which is risky enough in itself, but it's been done before in various ways, and this won't be the last time it happens."

I simply stared at him this time. No shit – he and his pack went against the Moon Goddess on a daily basis. I was sure they had to be negatively impacted by it in some way, but I wouldn't ask. Not today, anyways.

"Essentially, you'll be putting a block on her mate bond, much like we do with all of our pack members. The only difference is that your abilities will make it more permanent, rather than having to do something along the lines of taking a potion once per year, like my pack does."

"Okay, so can you move on to telling me what I actually need to do? I get it, it's difficult, but more effective. Clear as crystal. So, let's get it done," I spoke up again, unable to hide my irritation any longer. Elijah shot me a warning glare, but I ignored him.

"We need to be in a room with Daphne, just you and I. I'll walk you through it, step by step," Trey finally told me.

"Something tells me you may be the last person Daphne will want to be in a room with," I retorted, narrowing my eyes at him.

"It's either that or allow her to sink further into the depths of insanity. She'd likely have to be isolated and locked up for the rest of her life. I'm sure she'd rather endure being in a room with be, rather than that cruel fate," Trey replied nonchalantly.

A low growl slipped from the back of my throat. I was really growing tired of his apathetic attitude. Elijah grabbed my hand and gave it a tight squeeze. What may have seemed like a sweet gesture, was actually another warning from my even-tempered mate.

Freeing my hand from Elijah's grasp, I stood from where I'd been sitting and headed for the door, "Let's get this over with."

Reluctantly, Elijah allowed Alpha Trey to travel down the hallway with me alone. Elijah and Daphne's mother had already been updated of the plan via mind-link and was expecting our arrival. Daphne's friends had been sent back to their personal quarters, but I was unsure if Daphne knew the reason for it. I had no doubt that she'd be reluctant to go along with this. In fact, there was a very real chance that we'd have to do it by force. As much as I hated the thought of it, it was what was best for her. I couldn't allow her to suffer.

I gently tapped my knuckles on the wooden door before us, which felt extremely odd seeing as it was mine and Elijah's personal quarters, but I had to approach this situation calmly. Bursting through the door with Trey in tow wouldn't provide Diana with proper warning of our arrival, and it would likely startle Daphne, complicating the situation even further.

After waiting a few moments to give Diana time to settle Daphne, I quietly pushed open the door and led Trey inside. I could hear Diana's quiet voice from the living room, attempting to soothe her daughter's broken soul.

I walked into the living room, immediately catching sight of Daphne. Her distraught appearance tugged at my soul, and I was suddenly even more motivated to rid her of the pain she was enduring.

"Diana, Daphne," I spoke softly as I approached the couch, forcing a smile.

Daphne looked up at me, but her attention quickly turned to behind me. Her eyes narrowed, almost instinctively, and her nose curled up into a snarl, "What is he doing here?"