Chapter 15 - Sacrifice

Lena's P.O.V.

"There's no way in hell I'd ever mate with your dreadful excuse for a son," I growled. This man had the audacity to kidnap me, twice, and now expected me to give up my own, perfect mate, for his son? Alpha Dean may have been attractive and very powerful, but he was also a complete ass.

But those things aside, why would anyone ever give up their true mate for someone who they weren't destined to be with?

I couldn't picture my life without Elijah anymore. We were made for each other.

"Oh darling, you didn't think you actually had a choice in the matter, did you?"

I'd never wanted to smack a smug grin off someone's face so badly in my life.

"What about Dean's true mate?" I questioned, trying another tactic. Surely Archibald would prefer his son to be with the woman who the Goddess made him for. Alphas were never at full power until they found their true mate – their pack's true Luna. Taking a chosen mate would make the Alpha and pack stronger, but it still wouldn't reach its full potential.

Only true, destined mates could bring a pack and its Alpha to its maximum strength.

"Luckily, he hasn't managed to find her yet, and I doubt he ever will. Regardless, the power you hold as a healer is much more valuable to a pack than a mate bond," Archibald replied.

"You're the only known healer of our time, young Lena. A pack having you, especially as its Luna, makes it extremely powerful. When you escaped all those years ago, I didn't bother hunting you down. I assumed you'd die or spend the rest of your life as a rogue, unable to uncover your true abilities, and of little value to anyone. When I discovered you'd not only been found by your former pack, but were also mates with the Alpha...well, I just couldn't have that, now could I?"

I listened to Archibald's lengthy explanation of his actions, but I was fuming the entire time. How dare he think my life was his to control? I was not an object to be fought over, stolen, or used. The Moon Goddess intended for me to be the Luna of Polar Moon for a reason.

Another low growl began to build at the back of my throat as I stared him down, desperately wishing to attack. If it weren't for the chain and the drugs he'd given me, I'd have his head.

"Such a feisty one. I'm sure Dean could grow to admire that, although he's not too fond of being defied or disrespected, especially by a she-wolf," Archibald cackled as he stood straight once more. He moved to where my chain was connected to the wall, but then he paused.

"Ah, how foolish of me," he mumbled as he pulled a syringe out of his pocket.

Before I had time to properly react, Archibald grabbed me by my unchained arm and quickly dug the needle into my flesh, effectively drugging me once again. Based on the fire I felt entering my veins, it was likely a concoction of silver and wolfbane – not enough to kill me, but just enough to weaken me.

My eyes grew heavy again as Archibald moved back to my chain and unlocked it, releasing me from the wall. Mentally, I still had fight left in me, but physically, my body couldn't respond. I tried to lunge for Archibald, but ended up falling flat on my face. He chuckled at me, as if this were all truly comical to him, and then he pulled on my chain, forcing me to follow him like a dog on a leash.

He pulled me up the stairs and out of the cellar, and I found myself on what I assumed was the main floor of the Dark Root pack house.

"Where are you taking me?" I mumbled, my voice shaky from the drugs I'd been injected with.