Lightning and Thunderblade (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

But unfortunately, she wasn't the only one who had enjoyed the joke. Her fellow kabuki were all cheering and clapping for him.

And the Master of Lightning, still used to being a TV star and showman, started doing little tricks for his all-female audience. But, of course, in an environment like this, no good deed remains unpunished, as Griffin Turner took advantage of Jay's being distracted. He snuck up to him from behind and pushed him around the course at high speed, seemingly even too fast for Jay's liking.

And just for once, Kai was the last Ninja standing as Jay was sent crashing right into Lloyd.

——-

"Are you okay? Do you want to try again?" Jay asked his son who nodded eagerly.

"Then let's go." The father offered the boy a hand, to pull him up and back onto the track.

Nya watched as her husband and son slowly skated into the middle of the rink, where Skylor was teaching her daughter how to stop.

"I wish I had learned how to do that." She heard Kai next to her mumble.

-----

Jay's involuntary speed lap had given the red Ninja an idea. Using his fire powers, he propelled himself forward. Surprisingly, Kai managed to stay on his skates for almost a full lap. But then he realised that he had absolutely no idea how to slow down. So, he stopped the only way he knew – by crashing into someone, sending them both onto the floor.

Luckily, his 'brake pad' happened to be the Master of Form, who even dropped her blade in the process. Jay, who was just passing by, picked it up and took off before Chamille could even react.

"Nice Kai, now you're cooking with Fire." He complimented the red Ninja, who once again was lying on the floor.

——-

"What about a little game?" Jay suggested to the four children who were gathered around him, holding up a little wooden stick. "Do you think you can catch me?"

"I can. I can." Abby jumped up and down on her roller skates.

"Me too." Matthew claimed.

——-

Jay was skating backwards, waving the Jade Blade in front of Chamille who was trying to catch up with him. Needless to say, the Master of Form was not happy about it at all.

"I got it, you want it. Come and get it. Come and get it." He teased her, skilfully dodging all her attacks.

In the stands, the kabuki dancers were excitedly jumping up and down, cheering for him. And Nya was by far the loudest of them all.

-----

"Alright, Robbie and me are one team. So are Abs and Matt." He suggested. "And Amber is with her mum, okay?"

"It's been a while that we've been on opposing teams." Skylor smirked at the Master of Lightning. "You'd better prepare for defeat."

——-

With the help of Skylor and Neuro, the three Ninja had managed to get all the Elemental Masters to work together rather than against each other. Thanks to the red and orange Ninja, Lloyd had even taken control of the buggy and was closing the gap on Chamille.

"Buttons. Buttons." In a desperate attempt to stop him, the Master of Noodles kept randomly hitting buttons, but the green Jungle Raider easily got past any obstacle that Chen would put in his way.

But if Lloyd had one major fault, it was that the kid was just too naïve and trusting. When he offered a hand to his opponent, Chamille simply responded by pulling him out of the vehicle.

"What a b****!" The girl next to Nya cried. But the Samurai couldn't help but feel sorry for the purple-haired woman.

Chamille had just lost all her supporters. And if she decided to Lloyd's side, she was going to lose the race and be out of the tournament. Her only chance was to keep fighting, even if she was on her own.

Maybe taking someone's hand is a sign of weakness. Ans not taking it may be the only way to ensure your independence. Nya thought. Even if it means you get left behind.

-----

After a fierce battle, the six competitors took off their skates and the two families returned to their picnic blanket where the four exhausted children started happily munching their snacks.

Jay put his arm around his wife's shoulder and pulled her against him.

"Happy Birthday, Sweetheart." He whispered into her ear. "I love you, Nya."

"I love you too." She replied.

"Are you enjoying your little party?" He asked.

"I am." She smiled at her rather sweaty husband. "And I'd say so are you and the kids."

"Why didn't you join us?" He wanted to know.

"Oh, I prefer watching you skate." She grinned.

"I know." He smirked. "I've actually known that for quite a while." He pulled her into a deep kiss.

"Can't you do that at home?" Kai complained. "People are eating here."

Nya rolled her eyes. "Kai, will you ever get used to it?"

"Will you ever stop doing this in front of me?" He retorted.

"I don't think so." His sister laughed.

"There you've got my answer as well..."

"But I still haven't got my answer why you don't wannna skate with me." Jay stated.

"I'm not that good." Nya started. And I don't like doing things I'm likely to fail at. "Plus, I have no skates."

Jay reached into the picnic basket and took out a blue gift box. "Happy Birthday, Nya." He said.

And when the Master of Water opened to box, she was not surprised to find a pair of brand new roller skates inside.

"You've planned this all along, haven't you?" She sighed.

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. He had told her once. And it looked like he really wanted her to skate with him.

——-

The race was getting close to its end. The other Masters had silently agreed to stop interfering with the outcome, and everyone watched in suspense, as the Masters of Energy and Form were on their final lap, side by side and not so gently shoving each other.

And just as the time was running out, the two racers crossed the finish line for the final time, with Chamille being just ahead of Lloyd.

To her dismay, however, the Master of Form realised that she had dropped her Jade Blade again, thus making Lloyd the winner of the event.

And not only that, the Ninja had also made some new friends and allies among the other competitors.

On the other hand, Nya had possibly found some new competition among the other kabuki dancers.

But, as one of the girls had said earlier, all is fair in love and war.

And if there was one thing the Samurai knew about, it was how to fight.
-
"C'mon." Jay offered her his hand. "I've got you."

Nya took it without hesitation. It had taken her quite a long time, but eventually, she had learned that it was not a sign of weakness at all.

I know." She smiled. "And I've got you too."