Chapter 10: Not The Same

*this chapter will be in Arlo's point of view and will contain explicit content ; you've been warned*

The moment I pulled the trigger I knew I made a mistake. Not because I felt bad for Jonah but because I knew Nova was watching. I sensed her presence and I still went through with it.

Maybe a part of me wanted her to see my true side? I had been so calm and gentle with her I was bound to break any moment and she was bound to see who I really was.

I assumed she knew what kind of man I was but to put the words into action were much different. The look in her eyes when she saw his lifeless body hit the ground is a look I'll never forget. She was afraid of me. I don't blame her.

Maybe this is why I don't let anyone close to me. I knew she'd see me as a monster - because I am one.

Not long ago I was just inside of her, sharing ourselves together. I never had sex like that before, each time was better than the last. I'm hooked on her and I can't seem to let go. Maybe it's Nova that needs to run far from me.

The threats I received seemed to of accumulated and it lead back to its source - Jonah. I needed to kill him for her safety. I was blindsided that my best friend could pose such a threat but her safety goes to no extent.

I stand here holding Nova's hair as she begins throwing up in the toilet. I've known men to throw up when they watch me shoot somebody, but I can't imagine seeing somebody get shot in their head. She wasn't accustomed to this fast life I lived for money.

Once she's done I flush the toilet for her and she shuts the lid. She sits on the toilet seat, tears streaming down her face. I'm the reason... I repeat in my head, my gut feels like it's on fire with guilt.

I can't help but find her alluringly beautiful sitting there. My Bellissimo.

"Why?" Nova asks, tears still falling from here face. I asked myself that question, too. Though I knew the answer.

"He was the one sending threats." I simply say. I refuse to elaborate, even though I know I'm going to have to.

"So you killed him?" She asks, rolling her eyes. I stand up and rake a hand through my hair. "Yes. I killed him. If it means protecting you, I'll kill everybody that gets in the damn way!" I holler. I see her gulp and rub her arm nervously. Damn it.

"You know what kind of man I am, Nova. Don't act surprised."

Suddenly she stands up and she's face to face with me. She slaps me in the face and I gasp in shock. "You brought me in this damn mess, Arlo!" She screams. Nova runs out of the bathroom into our bedroom.

I run after her and find her balled up in the corner of the room crying again. I crouch down to her level and hold her in my arms, my shirt instantly becomes soaked with her tears.

"non ti preoccupare bambino, ho te." I whisper as I hold onto her tight. "I've got you." I repeat. I think to myself about how my life has escalated to this. I can't decide if this was a good idea to bring her here.

"I h-hate..." Nova chokes out as she tries to finish her sentence. "You hate what, baby? Tell me." I whisper, holding her closer to me.

"I hate that I can't stay mad at you. No matter what you do. Promise me you won't take advantage of that." My stomach twists at her words and I feel her pain. I feel what she feels. I am the exact same way.

"I promise, Nova. I'll never take advantage of you like that. Or in any way." She hugs me and buried her head into my chest. "Good, because you're all I have." She says. I play with her hair and try to cool myself down.