Chapter 26: If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them

"No! No! Absolutely fucking not!" Arlo shouts at me at the table during breakfast. I roll my eyes as Matteo starts to cry.

"And why not? You're making the baby cry for fuck's sake." I say from across the table.

He slams his fists down and shouts, "because I fucking said so! You're not joining my fucking gang. I won't have you involved in that life!"

"Don't you see! I ALREADY am involved in that life, because YOU are!" I scream back. I feel my veins popping out of my forehead and my face turn red with anger. I pick Matteo up and sit in the living room, far away from Arlo.

I want revenge for my dead parents and this is the only way. If I join his gang I'll be introduced into the killing life.

If we're skilled enough in balancing our life between the gang and our child, life could be tolerable for the both of us.

But all I know, is that I need revenge. I need to kill whoever went after my parents, this has been going on for far too long.

Arlo walks back in and sits beside me on the couch as I hold Matteo. "The answer is no and that's final. Don't you see what matters the most? You're holding him for fuck's sake." He says calmly. I nod my head and rub Matteo's soft cheek as he smiles up at me with his alarmingly blue eyes. He's so beautiful.

As nighttime starts to take effect, I roll over in bed and see Arlo passed out in bed from watching over Matteo with me today. I slip out from under the covers quietly and gently place the baby monitor right next to Arlo's pillow and put the volume on the loudest setting.

I shrug on my black trench coat over my entirely black outfit and rush out of the door, sneaking away into the nighttime.

I turn my car on, thanking the lord up above that I had one of those quiet cars. I don't turn my headlights on until I'm a few feet away from my house.

I show up at Arlo's warehouse and smile to myself, because just a few hours earlier I was texting on Arlo's phone plans to meet up at the warehouse tonight and Arlo has no idea.

I park outside the warehouse and use my set of keys to get in through the back. I swing the door open to the artillery room and everyone's eyes focused on me.

"Um...with all due respect Mrs. Greco, but isn't Arlo supposed to be here as well?" One of his members say to me.

I smile and say, "not tonight, boys. I'm here to make a plan and I'm going to get revenge myself. I just need your help. And Arlo is not to know about this!" The men look at each other around the room, looking dumbfounded.

"That's fine, I guess. But if Arlo finds out, we are not to blame. You are." Another one says. I agree and get blue prints out and other materials I brought with me.

Two hours later I wave the men goodbye and head for my car. The other men stayed in the warehouse to go over more plans and collect more data about this mysterious gang that fucked with my family.

As I'm about to unlock my car, someone pushes me against the brick wall of the warehouse.

He puts his index finger against my mouth and shushes me to be quiet. My eyes widen and my heart starts beating a million times per second.

"Is she around here? You said she was fucking here tonight." I hear a man say around the corner. "Aye. She was. Maybe she went home?" I hear another stranger say. "The boss is gonna fucking kill you." The first man says. I hear them argue until their voices are no longer near me.

The stranger let's go of my mouth and I whisper, "who the fuck were they? and who the fuck are you?" I push him away and start heading for my car.