22

Keith's POV

We walk into the common room without a sound. The red-head man is back. Coran.

"Keith!" Pidge shouts. "Coran says he might have a way to help you!"

I look up at the Altean. "Really?"

"Well, maybe. I'm not positive yet but I'll try my absolute hardest!" Coran exclaims.

"That's all I really need. Thank you Coran."

"No problem number four!" Does he ever stop screaming?

"Four?"

"Oh right. I have you ranked by height, Pidge is five, you're four and so on. Anyway, we should go get your brain scanned to see how it's working right now. Follow me."

I turn to follow him as he walks to the door. A couple pairs of footsteps follow behind me. I glance back to see Pidge, Lance, and Hunk. I turn back around and speed up so I don't loose Coran.

The events in the end bay were a blur. I was put in a pod and taken out after what seemed like ten seconds but was really an hour, or varga as Coran called it. Then, he tried to put a needle into my arm. I flinched away, though I don't know why. I have a hint though.

A random flash of an image overcame my sight. It was of what I think was a woman. She had a needle with a weird colored liquid in it. I don't remember the color though. I was strapped- no tied- no, strapped...I think. Anyway, I was being held down in some way. I was back to my pale color and trying hard not to look scared.

As soon as the image came it was gone. I sat in silence for the rest of the time.

"Keith? Keith? KEITH!" Lance screams.

I snap my head up. "What?"

"You kinda zoned out there. Are you alright?"

I hesitate before answering, "I think I remembered something. Something about the first time I was captured."

"What was it?" Lance leans forward. I lean back in response and my ears flick down. He leans away. "Right, you need space, got it." He sounds disappointed.

I explain what I saw- er, remembered. At some point, Coran and the others lean in the listen. When I'm finished, Lance jumps up with a wide smile. "That's what we saw when me and Shiro got him out!" He leans closer to me. "You're remembering!"

I offer a small smile as I lean away and will my ears not to droop, they do anyway. Lance leans away again. "Sorry, I keep forgetting."

"It's fine Lance," I mumble.

"After hearing that, I think it's a good time to go over the readings I got from the pod!" Coran chimes.

"Why'd you need my blood if you were getting readings from the pod?"

"Well...the pod didn't recognize you as quickly as normal. I needed to update a few things, such as your blood sample."

I huff out a dry laugh. "So I'm not myself anymore, good to know."

The room gets tense, awkwardness entering the air like an unwanted intruder.

"Your scans show that your brain is trying to heal itself," Coran says, his enthusiasm distinctly missing. "It's proving to have a few problems though. If you continue to overwork and overwhelm yourself, it might not heal all the way and you'll still be distinct memories."

"So I can't train, I can't go on missions, I can't show my emotions like a normal human being. Which is funny because, if I must remind you, I can't do anything like a normal human anymore because I'm not even a fucking human!"

"Keith. This is exactly what you can't do. You need to rest. Your body will mend itself. Remain calm," Coran says, his voice sounding strange compared to the yelling he wouldn't stop with earlier.

Lance's POV

"Keith, buddy, hi, don't be mad, but I think you should probably go to your room and lie down," Hunk points out in a tiny voice.

"I'm with Hunk on this one, take a break, you're probably just overwhelmed by everything that happened today," Pidge chimes in.

"You just got back, let's try not to have too many things happen in one day," I join.

Keith looks at us and sighs in defeat. He turns to Coran and thanks him. He turns back to us and offers a tiny smile. Pidge, Hunk, and I give him our award winning smile trio in return.

Pidge jumps on Keith's back and Hunk wraps his giant arm around Keith's narrow shoulders. I grab his wrist, not thinking about it before we march out of the room, Keith wobbling from Pidge's weight on his back.

"So, Hunk, Lance tells me you like to cook?" Keith asks.

"Oh yeah, absolutely. I take recipes from earth and try to recreate them wi-" I tune Hunk out. We've all heard this speech many times before. I glance at Pidge to see them playing with Keith's ears. As they try to touch them they flick away. I peak at Keith's face to see he looks mildly uncomfortable and kind of strained. Maybe he's having trouble hearing with his ears flicking all over the place.

"Psst, Pidge," I stage whisper. Hunk and Keith don't seem to notice. The previously mentioned gremlin looks at me. I point to my ears than Keith, followed by making a stop motion. They seem to understand because they turn their attention to Keith's hair instead. His face turns a little red and I can tell he's resisting the urge to start purring.

"You really do like cooking huh?" Keith asks.

"It's not a like Keith. It's a love, a passion if you will." Hunk looks away dramatically.

"Yeah, he's a total foodie. When he's stressed, he bakes. When he's happy, he bakes. When he's looking for something fun or interesting to do, he changes it up and cooks. There's a very important difference that Hunk lectured me about before," Pidge says while tying Keith's hair in a ponytail. Where did they get a hair tie? Their hair isn't long enough for that so why would they need it?

"Hey Keith?" Hunk asks. By the tone of his voice I can tell he's plotting something.

"Hm?"

"Do you remember the notorious bonding moment?"

"What?" Keith asks.

Aw come on! I build up the courage to admit that I remember and he forgets? How convenient!