i. nine

ɴɪɴᴇ — ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴇɪɢɴ

♛ ♛ ♛

THAT NIGHT, ARETTA and Nakia rushed into the King's throne room, being greeted silently by Okoye with a tight hug. When the three broke, Okoye gripped one of their hands tightly. She held back a sob. "The Queen Mother and Shuri, they are safe?"

"Yes." Nakia nodded back with a frown. Okoye sighed in relief before slowly moving to the large window beside them. "Thank you."

"We have to get to them." Aretta said, starting to pull on the General's hand. Okoye looked at the two with wide eyes. "I cannot."

"What?" Aretta said, moving back towards her with a squint. Okoye shook her head, tears threatening to fall. "Though my heart is with you."

Okoye let go of each of their hands, stepping back. Nakia shook her head. "We cannot turn over our nation  to a man who showed up here only hours ago!"

"He is of royal blood." Okoye argued back. 

"He killed T'Challa!" Aretta shot back, her voice rising in rage.

"In ritual combat."

"Who cares?!" Aretta shrieked back before swallowing harshly to calm herself down. They all glanced at the doorways, the fear of Erik looming on the other side of it, waiting to pounce.

"You are the greatest warrior Wakanda has." Nakia said with a shaky breath. "Help us overthrow him before he becomes too strong."

"Overthrow?" Okoye said, the words almost bitter in her mouth. "You too!" she hissed, glancing at the door again. "I am not a spy who can come and go as they so choose! I am loyal to that throne, no matter who sits upon it! What are you two loyal to?"

As Nakia scoffed at the warrior, stepping away, Aretta took a large stride forward, coming close to Okoye's face. "I love him! I love my country too."

"Then you serve your country."

Aretta shook her head, tears now falling down her flushed face. "No. I save my country."

Aretta stormed away, Nakia following closely behind. Okoye's eyes followed the pair to the door before shamefully turning back to the window to contemplate.

♛ ♛ ♛

NAKIA THREW OPEN the door to her private chambers, holding a bundle of clothes beneath her arm. Ross turned around, looking to see the two women now have scarves over their necks. "What's wrong?"

"The King is dead." Aretta choked back before Nakia threw the bundle of cloth at him. "Come now, unless you want to end up at the bottom of the river."

Ross blinked before throwing the cloth over his head, rushing out the doorway.

♛ ♛ ♛

AS THE THREE broke though the foliage in the night, they were met with Ramonda holding out a ring blade their way. Nakia held up her hands in surrender. "It's only us, it's only us."

"Nakia, Aretta!" Ramonda breathed in relief before tensing up at the sight of Ross. "Who is this man?"

"He's a friend of T'Challa's. He saved my life."

"Where is Okoye?" Ramonda asked suspiciously, eyeing Ross. Aretta shook her head. "She is not coming."

"She and the Dora Milaje will save the new King." Nakia added, her hands still raised. Ramonda slowly lowered her weapon, mouth hung in shock.