i. two

ᴛᴡᴏ — ᴄʀᴏᴡɴɪɴɢ

♛ ♛ ♛

THE SKIES WERE filled with the sounds of cheering, singing, and heavy drums. Four of the five tribes all stood on boats as they sailed towards the waterfalls. Nakia and Aretta — both being part of the River Tribe — smiled widely at one another as they made small steps around each other in dance. They both their hips with the beats of the drum as the rest of the tribe shook their hands around in the air.

Okoye, who stood with the other Dora Milaje, raised her spear in the air. "Onward!" she yelled in Xhosa, before the rest did the same. In union, they slammed their spears against the floor of the boat, sending a shockwave underneath the water. The wave traveled at rapid speed, before activating a machine. The circular machine rose, revealing a drain. The water level slowly started to fall, and when it was low enough, everyone started climbing down the rocks of the waterfall, taking their rightful places.

Aretta watched in anticipation as the jet lifted over the rock line, and the back walkway lowered. T'Challa slowly walked down the path, looking up at the people dancing to the music and chanting his name proudly. He wore charcoal coloured paint on his cheeks and forehead, and had dotted paint along his chest and shoulder blades. A shield and short sword was gripped in his hands.

As the jet took off, the music and chanting went silent. A man, wearing purple garments with a painted face, raised his arms. "I, Zuri, son of Badu, give to you Prince T'Challa. The Black Panther!"

Aretta and T'Challa locked eyes momentarily, and he could see the proud look she held in her eyes. As his eyes wandered the rest of the people, he lifted his arms before sinking to one knee. Everyone crossed their arms over their chest in respect.

"The Prince," Zuri announced, cradling a bowl with dark purple liquid in it. "will now have the strength of the Black Panther stripped away."

Zuri moved in front of T'Challa, lifting the spout to his lips. T'Challa drank the liquid, before wincing and faltering momentarily. Everyone could see the dark liquid flowing through his veins. As they watched, the drums started beating lightly and everyone's shoulders bounced to the rhythm.

T'Challa shut his eyes tightly, before looking up at everyone, who still had their arms crossed. His lips were red from the liquid, and he licked them, before getting up to his feet.

"Praise the ancestors!" Zuri yelled, before everyone yelled it back. "Victory, in ritual combat comes by yield or death. If any tribe wishes to put forth a warrior, I now offer a path, to the throne."

A man dressed in white and blue robes stepped forward. A short woman beside him shook her head. "The Merchant tribe will not challenge today."

W'Kabi let out a cry, which followed by his tribe letting out the same cry. A man standing beside him, dressed in similar fashion gave a nod. "The Border tribe will not challenge today."

Nakia let out a yell, and everyone in the River tribe copied. A man with a teal lip plate shook his head, standing in between Nakia and Aretta. "The River tribe will not challenge today." T'Challa pressed his arms to his chest in an 'X' before looking at a woman dressed in red. "The Mining tribe will not challenge today."

Zuri stepped though the water, towards Shuri and Ramonda. "Is there any member of royal blood, who wishes to challenge for the throne." He asked, extending his arm towards T'Challa.

Shuri slowly raised her hand, and everyone broke into noises of disbelief and disproval. Shuri nodded her head. "This corset is really uncomfortable," she turned to the rest of the people. "so could we all just wrap it up and go home!"

Ramonda shook her head, pinching Shuri's arm. T'Challa smirked at his sister, shaking his head. The light-hearted moment was drowned out by a series of chants. T'Challa glanced over to a hole in the side of the cliff. Slowly, men from the fifth tribe — the Jabari tribe — poured out from it. Finally, M'Baku emerged, wearing a gorilla mask, and having parts of his body painted white.

They all continued to chant until M'Baku stood in front of T'Challa. He slipped off his mask, revealing a heavy frown. Zuri pursed his lips. "M'Baku. What are you doing here?"

"It's challenge day." he answered simply. M'Baku moved to stand before the rest of Wakanda, and his voice raised to a yell, "We have watched, and listened from the mountains! We have watched with disgust, as your technological advancements have been overseen by a child!"

As M'Baku yelled towards everyone, he advanced towards the royal family. When he was dangerously close, the Dora Milaje surrounding them held their spears out protectively. M'Baku glared at Shuri, who had fear in her eyes. "Who scoffs at tradition! I know you want to hand over this nation to a Prince," his voice lowered to normal as he walked back to T'Challa. "who could not keep his own father safe. Hmm? We will not have it. I said we will now have it! I, M'Baku, leader of the Jabari—"

Aretta growled under her breath as she shifted forward. A hand slapped around her lean bicep tightly. She looked over to see Tendaji shake his head subtly at her as a silent warning. She glared at him, before looking back at M'Baku and T'Challa, letting his hand slide from her arm.

"I accept your challenge, M'Baku." T'Challa said in a calm voice, cutting him off.

♛ ♛ ♛

okay so, just to clear something with this book;

i ship nakia and t'challa 100%, but i wanted to make a black panther book SO badly. i have absolutely nothing against nakia and t'challa together, but i added my own oc (obviously, hehe)

sorry for the slightly shorter chapter. hope you all enjoy it so far! (and i hope i haven't made any mistakes! (please let me know if i did))