Chapter Twelve: What Declan Said Back Then...

Start from the beginning

"I respect your privacy, Jordan," Bennett said, "Although I can't say anything for you- I know your background checks, Jordan. We'll need to talk about that."

"Bent, I-"

"But you will have to tell us eventually what happened, sooner than later. You still jeopardized this team by having something personal affect your actions."

"I know," Jordan said. "And if I ever mess up again, I know Declan is there to kick my ass." With a smile, he playfully punched Declan on the shoulder.

Declan rolled his eye but still smiled. "You can count on that. Glad to have you back, man."

"I just felt we might as well settle things before we go up to see my mom," Jordan said. "Especially since she'll see this battle scar on my pretty little face."

"You get bruised too easily," Declan said held up Jordan's head by the chin to get a better look at his cheek. "I can always beat you up some more to take care of that."

They suddenly stopped and looked at me and Bennett. Jordan pushed Declan away before Declan was able to.

Bennett told us, "C'mon, we should head there before the fire department beat us to it."

"That's my line," Jordan said.

We all began heading towards the garage when Jordan stopped me. I waved off the others to go ahead. Their hesitation made me give them a look for them to go.

Jordan leaned against the wall, tired and defeated. "I'm sorry, Naomi."

"It's alright-"

"No, it isn't," Jordan said. "I was stupid, irrational... and other synonyms."

I chuckled at that.

Jordan smiled. "I... I never want you to see you without a smile. I never want to be the reason that you're not smiling." He looked away, slowly turning red. "You deserve to smile."

"We all do," I said. "I just... I just didn't want to see you guys like that."

"Don't be mad at them. Especially Declan. We all agreed that if one of us messes up, we'd whip them back to shape."

Jordan paused. "I specifically asked Declan to do just that."

"You guys have a really weird relationship. One minute you're brothers, the next you're enemies."

He chuckled. "I'd be scared what Bennett would do if I were on the receiving end. At least Declan is predictable. And honestly, he understands me more... So, just don't be mad at them. I would've done the same, which probably won't happen since I'm so stupid."

"You're not stupid, Jordan," I reassured him. "Especially after this. You learned from it. Therefore you are now less stupid."

He laughed and began walking towards the garage with me. "That's like saying that compared to myself yesterday, I'm older, therefore wiser."

"That is a philosophy I live every day," I told him.

Jordan opened the door for me to allow me to walk first. "And don't think I didn't catch that 'you are now less stupid'. You basically admitted that I am indeed stupid."

"Darn, you caught me there." Looking at the impatient looks from the others, I told Jordan, "Let's go before they extend our punishments to more than a month."

-

Jordan was freaking out.

"I'm freaking out!" Jordan cried.

See?

"You see this bruise on my face?" Jordan demanded. "It might get bigger once my mom sees it!"