7. Truth and Lies

Start from the beginning

"I'm the editor-in-chief." She answers nonchalantly, but I see a gleam in her eyes. She takes pride in what she does. 

"Wow, that's Gray for you." I beam at her, feeling proud. 

She brushes off my comment and opens her notebook. "Let's start." 

The reason she called me out here was for me to teach her the lessons she missed in the two days she was absent from school. She never told me the reason why she was absent; she just came to me asking for my notes. 

When I handed her my notebook this morning, she examined it for a moment before returning it to me, saying she asked for my Science notebook, not stenography. I told her that it was my Science notebook. She looked at me with a puzzled expression and took it from me again. After a minute of trying to decipher my notes, she finally gave up and told me a 5-year-old kid could write better than me. 

I ended up borrowing Kris' notes for her. Being the genius she is, she can definitely keep up with the lesson even with just the notes she borrowed. However, it's not the same for our Differential Calculus class. You can't really understand it if no one explains how things happened, which led me alone in this office now with Gray. 

"I already told you I'm not good at explaining," I complain. 

"It's not like I have any other choice," she says. "You're the only one who understands the lesson."

I let out a defeated sigh. "It's not my fault if you still don't understand anything after this." I tie my hair up in a ponytail before starting. 

Only a few minutes have passed, and surprisingly, Gray was able to understand me. By the looks of it, she'll be able to keep up with the lesson now. 

"That's the gist of it," I tell her and lean back in the chair. 

"Thank you, and sorry for asking you to help in your free time," she says. 

"No big deal, I'm happy to help," I tell her. "Is this where you go every lunchtime?" 

"Yeah, why?" 

"Nothing, I just noticed you're always nowhere to be found during lunch. Now I know where to look." I smirk. 

She takes a sip of her coffee. "Did you need anything from me?" 

"I met your ex in a bar last Saturday." 

Gray chokes on her drink. The coffee splatters on the gray v-neck shirt she's wearing, and her face was beet red. "Shit." She curses under her breath. 

"Are you okay?" I ask her as I quickly try to wipe off the remains in her mouth with my handkerchief. She takes it from me and wipes it herself.

She glares at me. "Do I look okay to you? Look what you did to my shirt." She gestures to the huge coffee stain in the middle of her shirt. 

"What I did? I'm not the one who splattered coffee in it." I defend myself. 

She stands up from her seat and paces the room. "How am I going to class in this?" 

"Chill, I have an extra shirt in my bag. I can lend it to you if you want." I offer. 

She stops and turns to me. "You will?" 

I nod and stand from my seat. "Wait here. I'll go get it." 

I run from the office to our classroom and back. Lunch is going to be over soon, but I still haven't gotten any of my questions answered. I stay in front of the office to catch my breath for a minute before entering. I don't want to make it obvious that I ran.