Chapter Eleven ~ The Kiss of a Rose

Start from the beginning

"The story of Rhodopis," Nikolai read the title out loud. "This story is rather infamous with the ladies, I can imagine you'd enjoy it as well."

"It is a rather enthralling tale," I commented.

"Why don't we seat ourselves and get started. I haven't read about Rhodopis in awhile."

Nikolai gestured for me to sit down, which I promptly did, right on the sleek clean floors of the Bibliotheca. I leaned my back against the bookshelf and looked back up at Nikolai, who had a quizzical expression on his face.

"What are you doing, Rose?"

"You said to seat ourselves."

I then realized what the issue was. I wasn't at home where I would sit or lounge about in a place or form I wanted. No, I was at a bibliotheca with a royal knight and where it was common for them to sit on chairs.

Goodness, I got too comfortable. It's a good thing I only sat and not laid on my stomach like an undignified lizard.

"Pardon me. I-I found the floor quite comfy looking and couldn't help myself," I hastily lied, rushing up to cover my improper behavior. I began to stand before I noticed that Nikolai had lowered himself, to where I had been seated before.

"You're quite right," Nikolai replied, his muscled back pressed against the wide bookshelf, and I feared for a minute that it would topple over with just the slightest of pressure from him. "The chairs look rather distressing and would only provide us with back pains if we were to sit there for too long."

I ignored the amused smile on his face, and slowly slid down beside him. Nikolai stretched out his long legs, and I couldn't help but watch his toned thighs tense when they touched the wooden floor. I crossed my legs together and with an eager expression, I waited for him to begin.

"First, I'll read it to you after that you can give it a go, and we'll see how much you know and what we need to work on," Nikolai told me, to which I nodded too, loving the idea of him reading to me.

"In the Ancient World of Egypt, a land known for its riches and strength, lived a beautiful servant girl with the name of Rhodopis," Nikolai began, his deep baritone voice taking me to a land where I wasn't chained to my poverty and where I could be free in my own mind, without having to worry about a single thing.

I listened intently, trying to follow along with the words, but found it quite impossible. So instead, I listened to his words and thoroughly examined the pictures. I had every detail memorized, from the trees that draped over the clay houses to the strands of red hair from Rhodopis wild mane.

Nikolai's baritone voice made it enjoyable, and I relished the story even more because of it. I slowly grew disappointed when there were only a few pages left.

"'She is the most Egyptian of all...for her eyes are as green as the Nile, her hair like papyrus, and her skin as pink as the lotus flower' said the Pharaoh. Rhodopis then lived happily ever after alongside the emperor. Their love was a symbol of devotion and it showered the kingdom with gold and rain. The end," Nikolai finished, shutting the book and turning to look at me.

I stared at the book in confusion before taking it from Nikolai's hands. I flipped through the pages, my eyebrows furrowing even more. I didn't speak until Nikolai broke me out of my searching trance.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked, his deep voice sending shivers down my back. I glanced up at him, my brown eyes meeting his piercing blue ones.

"Well, when does the dragon come in?" I asked, flipping through the pages quickly.

"Dragon?" Nikolai questioned, his eyebrows quirking up in confusion.

"Yes, the dragon that ate the King for not training his eagle well enough that it would simply steal the shoes of maidens," I replied, my eyes scanning the book for the word dragon. "See here? It says dragon."